Old 10-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Dan

Default The bee balm from hell

The bee balm has been transplanted from my strawberry patch for 3
YEARS, and EVERY spring it re-appears, easily choking the
strawberries. I had originally planted the bee balm in the protected
(fenced-off) area so deer wouldn't get it, but it has become a major
pain. Anyone who plants monarda / bee balm near strawberries is
asking for serious trouble (even worse than what ground ivy does).

Dan
Old 10-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12

If you transplant it to near the chicken coop, it will probably spend all
year choking the chicken!!!!

If you want to get rid of it , why not move the strawberry plants and take
down the fence so the deer can get rid of it for you?

Old 10-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Dan

On Sat, 10 May 2003 02:51:51 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12"
wrote:

If you want to get rid of it , why not move the strawberry plants and take
down the fence so the deer can get rid of it for you?

I learned later deer won't eat it. I had moved some out and it
performed well in worse soil...however, it prefers the pristine soil
of the strawberry cirlces, and has become extremely stubborn.

Don't get me wrong, I love monarda. The hummers fight over it
(literally and figuratively) at least once a week during summer.
Unfortunately it's a tough love situation Gotta get it out of the
strawberries.

Dan
Old 10-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Penny S.

Dan wrote:
The bee balm has been transplanted from my strawberry patch for 3
YEARS, and EVERY spring it re-appears, easily choking the
strawberries. I had originally planted the bee balm in the protected
(fenced-off) area so deer wouldn't get it, but it has become a major
pain. Anyone who plants monarda / bee balm near strawberries is
asking for serious trouble (even worse than what ground ivy does).

Dan

hah
I have never been able to get thedarn stuff to grow!!

penny s

Old 10-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Valkyrie

"Dan" wrote in message
The bee balm has been transplanted from my strawberry patch for 3
YEARS, and EVERY spring it re-appears, easily choking the
strawberries. I had originally planted the bee balm in the protected
(fenced-off) area so deer wouldn't get it, but it has become a major
pain. Anyone who plants monarda / bee balm near strawberries is
asking for serious trouble (even worse than what ground ivy does).

Dan

Just move the darned strawberries........person who slams head against stone
wall usually just ends up with a bleeding head.

Move the strawberries to a new bed, put a nice multi hook hanger in the
middle of the existing bed with the bee balm and put bird feeders on it.
You've already got the birds coming to the monarda, go with the flow and
enjoy your garden. Call this hill a bird sanctuary and let it go at that.

Val

Old 10-05-2003, 09:08 PM
GrampysGurl

hah
I have never been able to get thedarn stuff to grow!!

penny s

I have some coming bare root I hope it grows. I am getting it for the hummers
and butterflies.
Colleen
Connecticut zone 5
Old 11-05-2003, 06:44 AM
B & J

"Dan" wrote in message
The bee balm has been transplanted from my strawberry patch for 3
YEARS, and EVERY spring it re-appears, easily choking the
strawberries. I had originally planted the bee balm in the protected
(fenced-off) area so deer wouldn't get it, but it has become a major
pain. Anyone who plants monarda / bee balm near strawberries is
asking for serious trouble (even worse than what ground ivy does).

Dan

It's possible to get rid of bee balm (monarda) by getting out your spading
fork and literally digging up and sifting every bit of soil where it's
growing. (You'll also have to take out the strawberries.) I had to do that
when I planted an innocent 4" pot of it in a fertile, well watered area.
Even if you do this, any overlooked root will sprout and restart the cycle
if you aren't vigilant and immediately dig it up. Bee balm is a member of
the mint family, and many mints are aggressive growers. My spearmint, which
we use in tea, is now grown in a pot, and the monarda is planted in an area
where the rocks prevent it from going anywhere except up. Monarda can be an
unwelcome house guest that has no manners.

John

John

Old 12-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Ann

"Valkyrie" expounded:

Just move the darned strawberries........person who slams head against stone
wall usually just ends up with a bleeding head.

Ah, but as a complete aside....know why I beat my head against a brick
wall? Because it feels good when I stop ;-

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

[IMG] code is On

Monarda didyma (Bee Balm) HA HA Budys Here Gardening 5 16-07-2004 09:02 PM
Bee Balm Mosfunland Ponds 5 19-05-2004 02:06 AM
Bee Balm T&D From NC North Carolina 0 04-05-2004 09:07 PM
Bee Balm Seedlings Fleemo Gardening 13 26-03-2004 01:42 AM
Help with Bee Balm Jeff Hancock Gardening 3 02-06-2003 10:56 PM