Old 11-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Cerumen

Default willlow planting

"Jahboy" wrote in message
hi .
ive just recieved lots of freshly copiced willow sticks and would like to
start my own willow bed ,any help on the best way forward would be
appreciated

Willow must be one of the easiest trees to grow, stick them in the ground
and water them if you feel like it, they will grow.
I once reluctantly cut a branch on an ancient willow tree here that was
overhanging a neighbours land and threatening to topple the tree; I cut
most of it up for firewood and split the thicker bits some of which were 18
inches in diameter, one bit wouldn't split however and I threw it on a
mound of gravel left over from some building work, next spring it had
sprouted a myriad of twigs all around the bark/wood join. Make sure you
want them where you plant them because they are difficult to kill off.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork