Old 09-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Jahboy

Default willlow planting

hi .
ive just recieved lots of freshly copiced willow sticks and would like to
start my own willow bed ,any help on the best way forward would be
appreciated

Old 09-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Jahboy" contains these words:

ive just recieved lots of freshly copiced willow sticks and would like to
start my own willow bed ,any help on the best way forward would be
appreciated

Stick them in the ground about 9" - 12" and keep them very well watered.

or:

Dunk bundle(s) in (a) bucket(s) and fill with rainwater. Wait for the
roots to form and then plant them and water them in.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 10-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Victoria Clare

"Jahboy" wrote in news:3ebc10c0_2@mk-nntp-
1.news.uk.worldonline.com:

hi .
ive just recieved lots of freshly copiced willow sticks and would like to
start my own willow bed ,any help on the best way forward would be
appreciated

Stick them in the ground, thick end downwards (though they will probably
take upside down). Water through the summer (though they will probably
take even if you don't.)

Be quite, quite sure that where you put them is where you want them long-
term, because once they've been in there for a year or so, you won't get
them out again in a hurry! (Says the voice of experience....)

Victoria

Old 10-05-2003, 10:08 AM
MrCheerful

Jahboy wrote:
hi .
ive just recieved lots of freshly copiced willow sticks and would
like to start my own willow bed ,any help on the best way forward
would be appreciated

Where did you get them, please? I posted a recent thread and was told
they were not available/suitable to plant now.

I want a screen effect from them. A local school has a row of them
with a post either end and a couple of rails either side of the
willows for support and it looks ideal for what I need.

MrCheerful

Old 10-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Jahboy

thanks for the replys
ive got a busy day ahead of me planting them all today then ,sounds like
theres little problem.
i got them from a willow bed that is about to be ploughed over thats why
they out of season a bit. most places have stopped selling them by now i
think.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Fenny

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard MrCheerful say...
Where did you get them, please? I posted a recent thread and was told
they were not available/suitable to plant now.

If you want willow cuttings, you can have any number of mine. I've only
got the one tree left now, as I've finally had all the ones in the front
that were too close to the house removed.
--
Fenny
Fictitious Facts of the Day - From a list by Andrew Burford
#188 - 2,000,000egg cartons and 3,500,00 washing up liquid bottles went
into the making of Star Wars
Old 11-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Cerumen

"Jahboy" wrote in message
hi .
ive just recieved lots of freshly copiced willow sticks and would like to
start my own willow bed ,any help on the best way forward would be
appreciated

Willow must be one of the easiest trees to grow, stick them in the ground
and water them if you feel like it, they will grow.
I once reluctantly cut a branch on an ancient willow tree here that was
overhanging a neighbours land and threatening to topple the tree; I cut
most of it up for firewood and split the thicker bits some of which were 18
inches in diameter, one bit wouldn't split however and I threw it on a
mound of gravel left over from some building work, next spring it had
sprouted a myriad of twigs all around the bark/wood join. Make sure you
want them where you plant them because they are difficult to kill off.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Question about planting grass (small patches) [email protected] Lawns 2 01-04-2003 06:20 PM
Planting Roses Cherylmdsharp Roses 2 31-03-2003 11:32 AM
Today Elinor has mostly been planting peas..... Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 8 26-03-2003 06:08 PM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM
Tree Planting in Housing Colony Nitin Madhavan Gardening 0 26-01-2003 11:05 AM