Old 11-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Scott McCall

Default Help re. Citrus tree planting

NorthEast Florida = zone 8 or 9.
My wife was given a White Grapefruit tree
and will plant it this week. Please share
some experience and advice on this.

1) With 50' trees shading the east side,
there'll be NO direct sunlight 'til 11 AM at best.
If she plants in the center of the yard, we can
improve that by an hour, but will lose perhaps
an hour late in the day. If she crowds the
tree line, she will lose another hour early,
but will gain shelter from north winds in winter.
I (the newbie) favor the most sunlight. She
(the experienced) likes the more shady area.

2) Tag says use Acid fertilizer. We know
lime would be alkali, but what is acid? The
trees include pine, which I think acidifies the
soil, such that azaleas love it. We are open
to any and all advice here.

THANKS in advance.

Scott