Old 11-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Scott McCall

Default Help re. Citrus tree planting

NorthEast Florida = zone 8 or 9.
My wife was given a White Grapefruit tree
and will plant it this week. Please share
some experience and advice on this.

1) With 50' trees shading the east side,
there'll be NO direct sunlight 'til 11 AM at best.
If she plants in the center of the yard, we can
improve that by an hour, but will lose perhaps
an hour late in the day. If she crowds the
tree line, she will lose another hour early,
but will gain shelter from north winds in winter.
I (the newbie) favor the most sunlight. She
(the experienced) likes the more shady area.

2) Tag says use Acid fertilizer. We know
lime would be alkali, but what is acid? The
trees include pine, which I think acidifies the
soil, such that azaleas love it. We are open
to any and all advice here.

THANKS in advance.

Scott

Old 12-05-2003, 03:44 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Sun, 11 May 2003 15:56:15 GMT,
Scott McCall did speak the following bit of
wisdom:

2) Tag says use Acid fertilizer. We know
lime would be alkali, but what is acid?

Miracid by Miracle Grow is an excellent feed for acid-loving plants.
* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"
Old 15-05-2003, 11:32 PM
BraveNewWhirl

AS it appears you seem to like Sun Tzu, I for one would appreciate you
quoting him correctly. Wherever you got that line - it is not Sun Tzu

Citrus Plants, Citrus Feed, Citrus Compost Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-11-2008 03:41 PM
Citrus 101 - Planting to problem solving - here's all you need to know Ablang Gardening 0 16-01-2006 03:31 AM
air-layering citrus tree for potential future bonsai (question) N. McGuiness Bonsai 2 13-12-2004 06:20 PM
Citrus tree Polly Spaulding Gardening 2 04-11-2003 05:02 PM
Citrus tree sizes? Peter Tipping Australia 2 23-04-2003 10:20 PM