Old 12-05-2003, 01:09 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default oscars..playing dead?

Oscars do play dead when they are frightened. A good way to be
unattractive! Once secure, they won't do it. I have two new medium sized
ones in my office. They lie down, bent, when I approach the tank. The big
one does not. She has been around 7 or so years and has learned to eat from
my hand (actually, she would also eat my have if they could).

What is your water temp? They can handle the cold for a while, but prefer
mid to upper 70's.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"PETEFT15" wrote in message
Hi again, I am the newbie with fish in my pond. My husband went in there
today to clean out the filter, and the oscars were laying on their
sides...looking dead. Later, they were swimming around just fine. Do

oscars
play dead?

Erin