Old 11-05-2003, 08:08 PM
PETEFT15

Default oscars..playing dead?

Hi again, I am the newbie with fish in my pond. My husband went in there
today to clean out the filter, and the oscars were laying on their
sides...looking dead. Later, they were swimming around just fine. Do oscars
play dead?

Erin
Old 11-05-2003, 10:33 PM
James Cook

"PETEFT15" wrote in message
Hi again, I am the newbie with fish in my pond. My husband went in there
today to clean out the filter, and the oscars were laying on their
sides...looking dead. Later, they were swimming around just fine. Do

oscars
play dead?

Never kept Oscars myself but this is very common behaviour in my aquarium
kept Clown Loaches.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Doug

I had oscars for 6 years,not in a pond.I kept them in a aquarium(125gal.) I
never saw mine play dead.
They are a tropical fish and usually require warm temperatures around 78
degrees.
They love to eat feeder goldfish.

Doug

Old 11-05-2003, 11:21 PM
jammer

On Sun, 11 May 2003 17:38:13 -0400, "Doug"
wrote:

I had oscars for 6 years,not in a pond.I kept them in a aquarium(125gal.) I
never saw mine play dead.
They are a tropical fish and usually require warm temperatures around 78
degrees.
They love to eat feeder goldfish.

Yes, our aquariums were at 75-78 F on the Oscars as well. I would
guess if they are on thier side, they may be in trouble.

To the original poster: I hope your Oscar isn't mean to all your other
fish and that you can keep it alive. Did it come from a pond or an
aquarium?
Old 12-05-2003, 01:09 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Oscars do play dead when they are frightened. A good way to be
unattractive! Once secure, they won't do it. I have two new medium sized
ones in my office. They lie down, bent, when I approach the tank. The big
one does not. She has been around 7 or so years and has learned to eat from
my hand (actually, she would also eat my have if they could).

What is your water temp? They can handle the cold for a while, but prefer
mid to upper 70's.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 12-05-2003, 02:32 AM
PETEFT15

Well, it is cooler in our pond right now...60 degrees. The guy who gave them
to us had said that he wanted someone with a larger tank or pond for them
because they were too big for his. So we thought the pond would be OK. When he
dropped tham off, he seemed happy about the pond. It will get warmer as the
weather does, but not immediately. We are planning on taking them inside for
the winter...we have a big plastic tub we will be putting them in.
Any advice is welcome!

Erin
Old 12-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Erin,

At 60 in the pond, if you could take them in, they would be happier. How
big are they? The tub would probably work, but it might be harder to see
them. Do you have an aquarium you could put them in? How warm is your
house? If it is in the 70'2, room temp would work.

-- J

Old 12-05-2003, 08:21 AM
Iain Miller

"PETEFT15" wrote in message
Well, it is cooler in our pond right now...60 degrees. The guy who gave

them
to us had said that he wanted someone with a larger tank or pond for them
because they were too big for his. So we thought the pond would be OK.

When he
dropped tham off, he seemed happy about the pond. It will get warmer as

the
weather does, but not immediately. We are planning on taking them inside

for
the winter...we have a big plastic tub we will be putting them in.
Any advice is welcome!

Yes, it will need to be a very big plastic tub & you will need to put a good
filter on it - Oscar's are messy! Obviously you will also need to heat it as
well and do regular water changes - much like keeping an aquarium. If you do
not know about the Nitrogen cycle then you need to find out about it or you
will have dead fish on your hands. Suggest you do a search of google and/ or
have a look at www.thekrib.net. Bringingthe fish in for the winter will
require a bit of planning methinks!

rgds

I.

(TUB GRINDING) grind up all the dead brush and dead trees look J.G alt.forestry 0 17-08-2003 03:02 PM
(TUB GRINDING) grind up all the dead brush and dead trees look at J.G alt.forestry 0 10-08-2003 10:03 AM
Oscars in Trouble PETEFT15 Ponds 3 14-05-2003 01:44 AM
Matilda is dead too [Was: Dead Dolly] Phred sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
Matilda is dead too [Was: Dead Dolly] Phred sci.agriculture 1 15-02-2003 03:34 PM