Old 12-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Nedra

Default Do Shubunkin eat tadpoles?

The taddies that the goldfish spit out are toad-taddies.
Taste just terrible. In fact most fish avoid eating both
the taddie and the toad. Frogs are yummy! All of the
frog taddies & the frog itself are edible.

Nedra

"Lisa Tetzlaff" wrote in message
I have lots of tadpoles and several different fish. I have seen my

goldfish
spit out tadpoles. I have seen my shubunkin eat tadpoles and some of the
eggs.
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

we have had a pond for several years, with goldfish in, and always had a
good crop of tadpoles and baby frogs.

We had the usual crop of tadpoles last year, but didn't see any baby

frogs.

The only difference I can see is our Shubunkin - we put five in the pond
four or five years back and the single survivor is now much larger than

our
goldfish.

It is getting to the size of Koi Carp and I was wondering if beyons a
certain size the Shubunkin has a big enough mouth (and the inclination)

eat tadpoles.

We have also had two generations of baby goldfish, but none recently,

and
so
there is also the worry that a large fish may be eating little baby fish
also.

If this is so we will refrain from ceremonial fish and chips and donate

the
big fella to a pond which doesn't also contain wildlife :-)

Cheers

Dave R