Old 12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Requester

Default Leyland Cypress

wow thank you pam for all your answers and time. i really thank you.
how old is that tree btw?
i hear people say they get big yet the tag on all the ones i see say
they only get grow about 50-60' tall and 6-10 feet wide. is this
true? the tags lie? you see i never saw a leyland cypress that wasnt
pruned. i want to see what these trees look like if left unprunned
and left to grow natural because i wont prune mine.
thank you again.

"Pam" wrote in message ...

Requester wrote:

I need to know the following for planting Leyland Cypress trees:
1. root circumference
2. depth to plant
3. distance apart
4. how strong are the roots? will they knock over fences, break
concrete, crack walls, etc?
5. anyone have pics of thier lc tree they planted?

Root spread will increase with the height of the tree - you can figure
roughly that the root spread will mirror the height. Plant at the depth
it was in the nursery container and for screening purposes, space at the
mature spread (will vary with cultivar of LC, but 15' is a reasonable
spacing for most). Roots are dense but not particularly aggressive or
invasive - still, one would not be wise to consider planting this tree
too close to any permanent structure.

Leyland cypress are way too big to be considered for my small garden
(or most other urban gardens), but here is a good pic of a still fairly
young tree:
http://www.uah.edu/admin/Fac/images/naylor.jpg

pam - gardengal