Old 12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Requester

Default Leyland Cypress

wow thank you pam for all your answers and time. i really thank you.
how old is that tree btw?
i hear people say they get big yet the tag on all the ones i see say
they only get grow about 50-60' tall and 6-10 feet wide. is this
true? the tags lie? you see i never saw a leyland cypress that wasnt
pruned. i want to see what these trees look like if left unprunned
and left to grow natural because i wont prune mine.
thank you again.

"Pam" wrote in message ...

Requester wrote:

I need to know the following for planting Leyland Cypress trees:
1. root circumference
2. depth to plant
3. distance apart
4. how strong are the roots? will they knock over fences, break
concrete, crack walls, etc?
5. anyone have pics of thier lc tree they planted?

Root spread will increase with the height of the tree - you can figure
roughly that the root spread will mirror the height. Plant at the depth
it was in the nursery container and for screening purposes, space at the
mature spread (will vary with cultivar of LC, but 15' is a reasonable
spacing for most). Roots are dense but not particularly aggressive or
invasive - still, one would not be wise to consider planting this tree
too close to any permanent structure.

Leyland cypress are way too big to be considered for my small garden
(or most other urban gardens), but here is a good pic of a still fairly
young tree:
http://www.uah.edu/admin/Fac/images/naylor.jpg

pam - gardengal

Old 12-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Pam

Requester wrote:

wow thank you pam for all your answers and time. i really thank you.
how old is that tree btw?
i hear people say they get big yet the tag on all the ones i see say
they only get grow about 50-60' tall and 6-10 feet wide. is this
true? the tags lie? you see i never saw a leyland cypress that wasnt
pruned. i want to see what these trees look like if left unprunned
and left to grow natural because i wont prune mine.
thank you again.

Well......50-60 feet IS generally considered big in tree terms! Depending on the
cultivar of LC you select, 50-60' could be its mature size, but a number of
cultivars can easily exceed that height and a width of 15' is pretty standard for
all but columnar forms and some may even exceed that. Tags are only guidelines, as
are stated sizes in books or other references - plants don't read and they do keep
on gowing indefinitely, although growth tends to slow significantly with age. And
some nursery tags reflect plant size in 10 years rather than ulitmate size. Why, I
have no idea - some strange perception (or growers' wish) that folks replace their
landscaping after 10 years?

IMO, unpruned is best with these trees - excessive pruning shortens their life and
actually encourages more and faster growth - and they present a very lush, dense
screen if left in their natural form. Why people suggest them for a 10 foot hedge is
a mystery to me - an incredible amount of maintenance is required to keep something
that wants to be 50' tall at this reduced height and they generally will be more
prone to insect and disease problems when constantly stressed by excessive pruning.
Not to mention that heavy hedgeing results in a mostly woody frame with little
softening foliage.

I'd guess the tree in the photo at no more than about 10 years old, based on similar
growth habits of Leylands in my area. It is also a Naylor's Blue, which tends to be
on the smaller side for Leylands.

pam - gardengal

Old 12-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Charlie

Please don't grow them anywhere near your neighbours property if you don't
intend to keep them pruned! The ones in our garden are a good 20' and we're
struggling to even start cutting them back to 7'. They cause so many
arguments here in the UK between neighbours that the government is bring in
a law that you MUST keep them trimmed to a certain height - thank goodness!
My grandparents neighbours have some growing next to the boundary fence and
as a result, by grandparents get NO sun ALL DAY in a south facing garden.

Charlie.

om...

"Pam" wrote in message

Requester wrote:

[...]

---

Old 13-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Charlie wrote:

Please don't grow them anywhere near your neighbours property if you don't
intend to keep them pruned! The ones in our garden are a good 20' and we're
struggling to even start cutting them back to 7'. They cause so many
arguments here in the UK between neighbours that the government is bring in
a law that you MUST keep them trimmed to a certain height - thank goodness!
My grandparents neighbours have some growing next to the boundary fence and
as a result, by grandparents get NO sun ALL DAY in a south facing garden.

Plant in groups of five. Leave center tree unpruned.

[IMG] code is On

Leyland cypress turned brown-help! The Popovics Gardening 0 07-04-2003 02:08 AM
How do Leyland Cypress fare in Austin? Jer Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Propogating Leyland Cypress... TakeThisOut Gardening 2 02-04-2003 04:56 PM
leyland cypress HI HI- Gardening 0 24-03-2003 12:20 AM
leyland cypress Mark or Travis Gardening 13 23-03-2003 04:44 PM