Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Rufus

Default Horsetails and Roundup

I would like to eliminate the use of 'chemicals' from my garden, but
right now it is infested with equisetales (aka horsetails, mare's tails,
etc). There are some big patches, others are in small clusters among
the vegetables and flowers.

The only way I know to get rid of them is to spray in the growing season
with glyphosate. Even then you have to give them a thrashing first to
scrape their surface and let the weedkiller penetrate.

If anyone knows of an alternative, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Meantime, the best I'm hoping for is to keep the amount of glyphosate I
use down to a minimum. Even that is a problem, since the only form I
can buy locally is ready-made solutions in spray containers. I have a
vague memory that you used to get it in other forms, in applicators that
allowed you to dab it on to individual weeds.

Does anyone know of any devices like this? Or could I simply use a
paintbrush?

There is also the problem of our climate. You can't spray unless it's
calm, and for plants to absorb the stuff the plants need to be dry, and
need to stay dry for several hours after spraying. That means waiting
till the dew has burned off, and hoping the forecast is right.

Again, is there any way round this? Could I spray, then cover the area
for a few hours?

I will experiment, but I'd welcome any advice.