Old 12-05-2003, 09:32 PM

Default moving asparagus

In article , ncstockguy wrote:
Asparagus shoots 7 feet tall? How many loads of cow manure do you
bring in each spring? How long ago did you plant 'em?

I planted them last spring. We harvested for about 2 weeks this year
before letting them grow into the ferns. After fencing them up this
weekend, I think some are now more like 8 feet now. The bed is 3 feet
wide. I tilled in all the compost I had and added about 2o bags of
topsoil and tilled it all in last spring then opened a furrow and
planted the crowns about 8 inches deep. It is a 28 foot bed. I may add
another next spring since the wife wants me to plant less of other
things. I only have 7 tomato plants this year. Normally have 12 or
more.

This year about the time the first spears broke ground I worked in about
10 lbs of 10-10-10 and just a week or so ago mulched with grass
clippings.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)