Old 12-05-2003, 10:32 PM
torgo

Default Granada is fabulous

On Sun, 11 May 2003 08:59:45 -0700, Radika Kesavan
wrote:

What kinds of amryllis do you have? They are blooming now? Out here,
they bloom (indoors) between Christmas and Easter. I have never been
able to grow them outside on account of the bloody snails making
mincemeat of them.

I'm not sure of the variety, and neither is the former owner of my
house. Someone he worked with was dividing them and brought him the
extras. He had them planted in a circle around a pine tree, in full
shade most of the day.

The first spring I was here, I didn't see a single bloom. I moved
about half of them to a spot with almost full sun, at the end of the
walkway from the front door to the driveway. They've bloomed and
multiplied like bunnies ever since. Late April to middle May is
their blooming period. They're in that first pic with the Granada
blooms.

So far nothing has attacked them or my daffodils. But I've had to
abandon all hope of ever growing tulips, and this year I've lost most
of my lilies (over 100 of them in about 15 varieties) to things that
go "munch" in the night. That has me nervous about planting the
gladiolus bulbs that I got last week. Maybe I'll just wait until fall
and plant helleborus instead.