Old 13-05-2003, 06:56 AM
lisa

Default tomato's

"Jim" wrote in message ...
We are going to start a garden (small) we need 4 tomato types. What is
recommended for salads, and cooking ?
TNA
Jim

Cherry tomatoes are lovely in salads and great for eating off the
vine. I like the variety Sweet Million. It produced well for me last
year with lots of delicious, sweet, juicy bite-sized tomatoes.

For cooking, I'm growing Vita Italia, a plum tomato variety that is
known for it's flavour and excellence in making sauces.

Another good tomato variety for cooking is Costoluto Fiorentino, an
italian heirloom, remarkable for its flavour apparently. This will be
my first year growing it. It is a large, meaty, delicious tomato,
good for cooking, I read.

If you are looking for a large beefsteak type of tomato, where a slice
covers a whole slice of fresh buttered bread, then I like the Amish
heirloom, Brandywine, pink. It's flavour is amazing, and it grew well
for me the past two years. I've used it in salads too, and served it
simply, sliced on a serving plate to be eaten as is. They are that
good. It grows tall and will need staking for support.

As for a smaller tomato, Moneymaker is a good producer. I prefer the
larger, beefsteak tomatoes, and will be growing an old french variety,
Marmande, also known for its exceptional flavour.

Grape tomatoes are becoming popular. They are larger than cherry
tomatoes, yet smaller than most. I've not grown any yet. Will likely
try next year.

Good luck with your small garden... hope to hear about how it grows

lisa