Old 13-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Jim

Default tomato's

We are going to start a garden (small) we need 4 tomato types. What is
recommended for salads, and cooking ?
TNA
Jim

Old 13-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Zphysics1

tomato's is possessive -- you mean tomatoes?

brandywine
celebrity
san marzano
green zebra

/z.
Old 13-05-2003, 06:56 AM
lisa

"Jim" wrote in message ...
We are going to start a garden (small) we need 4 tomato types. What is
recommended for salads, and cooking ?
TNA
Jim

Cherry tomatoes are lovely in salads and great for eating off the
vine. I like the variety Sweet Million. It produced well for me last
year with lots of delicious, sweet, juicy bite-sized tomatoes.

For cooking, I'm growing Vita Italia, a plum tomato variety that is
known for it's flavour and excellence in making sauces.

Another good tomato variety for cooking is Costoluto Fiorentino, an
italian heirloom, remarkable for its flavour apparently. This will be
my first year growing it. It is a large, meaty, delicious tomato,
good for cooking, I read.

If you are looking for a large beefsteak type of tomato, where a slice
covers a whole slice of fresh buttered bread, then I like the Amish
heirloom, Brandywine, pink. It's flavour is amazing, and it grew well
for me the past two years. I've used it in salads too, and served it
simply, sliced on a serving plate to be eaten as is. They are that
good. It grows tall and will need staking for support.

As for a smaller tomato, Moneymaker is a good producer. I prefer the
larger, beefsteak tomatoes, and will be growing an old french variety,
Marmande, also known for its exceptional flavour.

Grape tomatoes are becoming popular. They are larger than cherry
tomatoes, yet smaller than most. I've not grown any yet. Will likely
try next year.

Good luck with your small garden... hope to hear about how it grows

lisa
Old 13-05-2003, 01:56 PM
FDR

"lisa" wrote in message
om...
"Jim" wrote in message

We are going to start a garden (small) we need 4 tomato types. What is
recommended for salads, and cooking ?
TNA
Jim

Cherry tomatoes are lovely in salads and great for eating off the
vine. I like the variety Sweet Million. It produced well for me last
year with lots of delicious, sweet, juicy bite-sized tomatoes.

Yeah, that's a keeper in my garden.

For cooking, I'm growing Vita Italia, a plum tomato variety that is
known for it's flavour and excellence in making sauces.

Another good tomato variety for cooking is Costoluto Fiorentino, an
italian heirloom, remarkable for its flavour apparently. This will be
my first year growing it. It is a large, meaty, delicious tomato,
good for cooking, I read.

I grew That variety last year and was unimpressed with the flavor, though
maybe it's better suited for cooking that raw eating. Also, maybe I had a
bad crop.

Old 13-05-2003, 04:56 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Jim" wrote:

We are going to start a garden (small) we need 4 tomato types. What is
recommended for salads, and cooking ?
TNA
Jim

Take a look at catalogs online for a good variety. Pay attention to
the growing time. Unless you are in the south with a nice long season,
shorter times are some insurance for a first year.

Otherwise i think it is very subjective. Cherry tomatoes to me are
mostly juice. I love plum tomatoes cut up on sandwiches and salads.
They're meatier and don't soak the bread in juice and pulp.

Vary your choices, cherry, grape, plum, vine, beefsteak, so you get
some of each. Each catalog company will have some different selections
so shop around--quickly. I'm expecting my tomato plant in soon. I
didn't know to start tomato seedlings indoors. Next year I will try
and grow them from seeds.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 14-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Dave Allyn

On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:05:50 -0500, "Jim" wrote:

We are going to start a garden (small) we need 4 tomato types. What is
recommended for salads, and cooking ?

someone mentioned sweet millions.. I have sweet 100's and they have
always done good for me.. They are a cherry tomato about 1" accross
and have a great flavor. I also grow a kind (don't remeber the exact
name) of yellow pear tom. They have a great flavor as well (if you
like yellow) I also planted a beefmaster (large) and an Early Girl.
The EG matures in 52 days, the beefmaster in 80. the beef will be at
the end of the season, but should give me a bit of variaty neer the
end...

I personally didn't care for the taste of the pinks (tried them last
year) but whatever suits your fancy...

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Old 19-05-2003, 07:56 PM
DD

Well, I usually have over 20 varieties each season, but if I could
only grow four tomatoes, they would be:

Stupice - for earliest ripeness
Pruden's Purple - best old time flavor
Opalka -- most versatile and abundant, big, flavorful elongated paste
type.
Yellow Brandywine - most unusual fruity flavor.

Unfortunately, you probably can't find these at most ordinary garden
stores. I start my own seeds, usually bought from Tomato Growers
Supply Company - they have hundreds of unusual varieties to choose
from. Of the varieties supplied by garden stores, I like Better Boys.
I'm not very fond of cherry tomatoes -- too much tough skin for the
amount of inner tomato as far as I am concerned, but I do grow three
plants of Matt's Wild Cherry in a whiskey tub for ornamental purposes
and they are great to snack on. To tell the truth, with most varieties
of red tomatoes, I can't tell much difference in the taste tests at
the season end. If it's been a good year, they all taste good, with
minor flavor differences. If it's been cool and wet, they all taste
watered down and pretty much the same. From my experience, the growing
conditions: watering, temperature, soil composition, and fertilization
have more to do with the flavor than the variety chosen. The paste
tomatoes, like Roma, will give you more bulk for cooking, but unless
you plan on boiling down bushels of tomatoes for canned sauce, you can
use any variety of tomato for fresh salads or in cooked dishes.