Old 13-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Meadows

Default tomatoes

On Tue, 13 May 2003 03:50:16 GMT, (M.
Tiefert) wrote:

Many seed catalogs include notes about flavor and purposes of tomato
cultivars. Besides the ones that Z mentioned, Monemaker and Rutgers are
also good tomatoes. Roma tomatoes are 'meant' for cooking, but can be
eaten fresh - they do well in salads because they're not as runny as
other tomatoes. Sweet million or something similar is a nice cherry
tomato that's pretty easy to find.

My favorite is Dona - a medium sized tomato with really tomato-y flavor!

And if you live in a short-season place (I do), Early Girl
is a very good choice.

At least they have some chance of ripening before autumn:
last year, we planted Brandywines and from four plants, got
2 (not a typo: two) ripe tomatoes. Then had a killing frost
the first week in October. Finished.

It was a disastrous year for tomatoes for us.

This year, I'm growing Early Girl, Sweet Million (I agree -
it's a great cherry tomato), and Better Boy. No cooking
tomatoes, although next year I will grow them. Next year
I'll have a hoophouse (unheated greenhouse) and I'll grow my
tomatoes inside the hoophouse.

Pat