Old 13-05-2003, 01:20 PM
rapdor

Default Staghorn problem

an authorities author on ferns has this to say re fertilizing staghorns:

"Fertilize with liquid organic fertilizers and sprinkle about 5g of
slow-release fertilizer granules into the bowl at intervals. Every few
months place small pieces of aged hardened cow manure in the bowl."
(Australian Ferns by Calder H Chaffey, pub 1999)

I've never known any reason not to following this guy's advice.

"david Isaacs" wrote in message
We have recently moved into a villa on the central coast of NSW that has a
large staghorn, almost six feet across and much admired. However the large
leaves, or are they called fonds, at the top two or three layers are
browning at the tips. The very top layer is all brown. The previous owner
has been feeding it cut up banana leaves and watering about once a week in
the summer, less in the cooler seasons.
Has anyone got an answer for this browning?
I have read online that a more modern way of feeding staghorns is to use a
water soluble fertiliser. Any thought on this please?
Any help would be appreciated.
Dave Isaacs.