Old 13-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Last year's seeds still viable?

From: "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."
Date: Tue, May 13, 2003 1:10 PM
Several packets, including zinnia, marigold, aster, dianthus, cornflower.

Packed for 2002, unfortunately couldn't plant, still worth a gamble this

year if the odds they're still alive are better than 50-50. What percentage

of each should I expect to germinate after 1 year of storage at cool room

temperature?

If the seeds would have been viable last year, there's a better-than-good
chance that they'll be viable this year, after storage in a cool room. There
are various tests you could run but I think you'd do well to just get them
going, unless you're counting on huge quantities over a large area.

(I've had good results with annual seeds from five-year-old packets.)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z6b/7a