Old 13-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Babberney

Default How do trees reproduce?

On Mon, 12 May 2003 20:40:31 -0400, "Judy and Dave G"
wrote:

Yep, not many around these days. But they are not extinct. I believe our 2
elms are still around because we are not near any large city or even really
big city. We are out in the rural area. Nearest neighbor is about 1/2
mile. We have 60 acres, behind us 90, behind him 170, across the road 290,
across the creek, 80, then 120, and so on and so on.

Our neighbor that owns the 90 acres lives down the street on a half acre
lot. His 90 acres is behind ours with an easement through ours. Anyway,
the main hunter on his property is the local Conservation District Manager.
He checks out the Elm every once in awhile.

I am totally aware of Dutch Elm disease. Watch for any signs of it at all
times of the year. I know the signs and am afraid they may occur at any
time.

Dutch Elm wiped out MOST of the elms in America because they were used in so
many cities for major plantings. Unfortunately. The trees are amazingly
beautiful.

Judy

This is largely regional. AFAIK, there is no DED in TX yet (knock on
wood); I don't know the full range it has conquered, but the problem
is largely focused in NE US where monoculture plantings along streets
allowed the disease to march right down the line from one tree to the
next.

Still probably a good idea to go with DED resistant transplants if you
buy an elm, but the native elms here are suffering more from droughts
over the past few years than anything.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html