Old 08-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Trish K.

Default How do trees reproduce?

Pam wrote:

Andy N wrote:

How about if a person prunes the ends of as many limbs as one chooses and
pushes each individually into moist, fertile soil and each and everyone
takes root and develops into a tree, would this also be reproduction?

Yes, but it is clonal (asexual) reproduction rather than natural.

hmmmm i like this part;

and everyone takes root and develops into a tree

yea I want to be a tree!

and

seriously if a tree is struck by lightening or wrecked be storm a broken
limb might root, that "new tree" could out live the original tree,
however clonal, is still natural.

na na

Old 10-05-2003, 03:56 AM

No, it's not that simple. Suggest a trip to the local library and
check out a book on plant propagation. Let's not confuse rooting a
coleus with rooting a cutting from a tree. You can probably stick
thousands of your japanese maple cutting in soil and get rooting on
precisely zero, rootone or no rootone.

As for the guy who said it's not natural, well I certainly do not want
unnatrual acts and unspeakable practices taking place in my garden. I
intend to rally the clout of a senator from PA to propose a law
against it. Asexual reproduction even sounds perverse and certainly
perversity in any form must be against god's laws and must necessarily
be against ours.

Good christians all, we must join forces to stamp out asexual
behaviour or any other kind of sexual behaviour for that matter. If we
don't stop it at plants where will we stop it?

On Wed, 7 May 2003 18:17:38 +0000 (UTC), (Spud
Demon) wrote:

(Requester) writes in article dated 7 May 2003 10:31:53 -0700:
|so your saying that if i cut off a branch or stem of say my japanese
|maple. then plant it in a pot of rich soil, it will grow roots and
|thus a new tree is formed??
|
|Your odds of getting roots (and therefore a cloned tree) are greatly
|increased if you use a rooting hormone such as Roottone. Follow the
|directions on the package.
|
|does this work for all and any tree?
|
|It works for most plants in general.

|--Thundermaker$yahoo.com (Spud Demon)

Old 10-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from x contains these words:

Asexual reproduction even sounds perverse

I never did believe that Mary person...

Janet.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Judy and Dave G

Hello everyone

Well, I can certainly speak for the American Elm. It reproduces by seed.
Lots of seed. Lots and lots of seed.

I now have about a trillion little baby elm trees in every flower bed,
flower pot, bare spot, driveway and even the dirt in the bed of the pickup
truck!

(Our home is an old log cabin, circa 1840. There are 2 elms on each side of
the drive and they are wondrous to stand under in the summer. Like a huge,
huge umbrella. Just wonderful. I don't know how old they are, but their
trunks are pretty huge.)

When I read the post that is posted every couple of months I have to smile.
My baby elms are trying their damndest to reproduce! ;o}

Judy

Old 12-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Jason Quick

"Judy and Dave G" wrote :

Well, I can certainly speak for the American Elm. It reproduces by seed.
Lots of seed. Lots and lots of seed.

Really? I was of the impression that there weren't many American Elms about
these days, due to Dutch Elm Disease. It's good that you're growing seeds
out. What part of the world do you live in?

Jason

Old 13-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Judy and Dave G

news

"Judy and Dave G" wrote :

Well, I can certainly speak for the American Elm. It reproduces by

seed.
Lots of seed. Lots and lots of seed.

Really? I was of the impression that there weren't many American Elms

about
these days, due to Dutch Elm Disease. It's good that you're growing

seeds
out. What part of the world do you live in?

Jason

Yep, not many around these days. But they are not extinct. I believe our 2
elms are still around because we are not near any large city or even really
big city. We are out in the rural area. Nearest neighbor is about 1/2
mile. We have 60 acres, behind us 90, behind him 170, across the road 290,
across the creek, 80, then 120, and so on and so on.

Our neighbor that owns the 90 acres lives down the street on a half acre
lot. His 90 acres is behind ours with an easement through ours. Anyway,
the main hunter on his property is the local Conservation District Manager.
He checks out the Elm every once in awhile.

I am totally aware of Dutch Elm disease. Watch for any signs of it at all
times of the year. I know the signs and am afraid they may occur at any
time.

Dutch Elm wiped out MOST of the elms in America because they were used in so
many cities for major plantings. Unfortunately. The trees are amazingly
beautiful.

Older than Methuselah? Sure do feel that way sometimes. ;o} But not there
yet. Hope I make it though!

Judy

Old 13-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Babberney

On Mon, 12 May 2003 20:40:31 -0400, "Judy and Dave G"
wrote:

[...]

This is largely regional. AFAIK, there is no DED in TX yet (knock on
wood); I don't know the full range it has conquered, but the problem
is largely focused in NE US where monoculture plantings along streets
allowed the disease to march right down the line from one tree to the
next.

Still probably a good idea to go with DED resistant transplants if you
buy an elm, but the native elms here are suffering more from droughts
over the past few years than anything.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html