Old 13-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Default [IBC] Removing Oak Taproots was [IBC] Starting Seeds

At 12:36 AM 5/12/03 -0400, lou E wrote:
brent you wrote

The problem with container oaks is that they want to grow that five foot
tap root in the container. This very often results in a very long spiral or
congested mass right under the root crown. Smaller roots usually do not
grow out of this mess. Sometimes it is interesting, but most of the time it
is unsightly and very difficult to remove or correct.

my question is what is the strategy (next year) to deal with long spiral
tap root that im sure is int he 15 gal pot.?

Lou

Any corrective strategy must start with the corrolary that the plant must
first be healthy. If you haven't yet inspected the root system in a 15 gal
pot, my guess is that this is a terribly root bound plant or that it is in
a really crappy soil and in the stages of root decline and failure. I think
you should begin with a thorough repotting this winter, removing all the
soil with a strong blast of water from a hose. Investigate the situation.

If it rootbound, but essentially healthy, you can begin corrective work.
Start by removing most, if not all, the roots in the interior section under
the root crown. Preserve the higher, outer roots that will eventually
become the primary roots. If you can untangle these roots fine, but it is
best to do the lower removal first, repot, let the plant regain its
strength for two years then move to the second stage at the next
repotting. At this point, you can do the opposite, preserve the lower roots
except for untangling them and shortening them to keep them from
spiralling. Now, you can begin the actual task of correcting the surface
rooting. Straighten them as best you can. Develop a plan for correcting the
surface roots.

You can remove one major root at each repotting. I prefer to take the worst
offenders out first. If it is to die, let it do it sooner rather than
later. Often you can simply shorten a large root that is unbranched close
to the trun and force it to ramify. This is preferable to starting over
(assuming it isn't overly large to begin with). Make sure these cut roots
are covered with enough soil so they won't dry out between waterings.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++