Old 13-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Default [IBC] Removing Oak Taproots was [IBC] Starting Seeds

At 10:44 AM 5/12/03 +0200, Theo wrote:
Hi Brent I read that you deal with oaks so please what do you think ?
I have 4 trees of cork oaks in the park and last september I could get
about 10 whole acorns before squirrels come but still green, ( mostly
they chop and throw them away .. so useless .. .. )
I put them inside sand for the winter
In spring I dug them out most of them were brown dead with molds
anly 3 were still white and germinating but the tap root
was starting to get black so I moved them in a deep container
with mould made with oak leaf and watered..
one month later I sow the 3 were opening end getting green and this
morning a small sprout was coming out from one of them..I am planning
to take some soil from the older oaks ..but I think it might bring
problems also
so I added some mychorize from my penthaphilla and covered with the
upper part of a plastic bottle to avoid some malicious bird .. one
never knows.....

I read Oaks are plenty of pests molds , mildew and other stuff
what could I do to prevent this baby and help him survive healthy the
good season's pests and get strenght ?
Thanks for feed back

Theo

Cork oaks, Quercus suber, are very tough trees and have actually
naturalized in parts of N. CA. I would resist putting any native soil in
with your mix. Although I doubt you have any fungal diseases that would
affect them, there is little point in taking that risk. It has not been my
experience that these oaks need any sort of mychorrizal innoculations to
thrive. They grow like weeks for me. In the future, keep the seeds in a
plastic bag in the refrigerator over the winter (after soaking). They will
stay cleaner and you should have almost no losses.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++