Old 14-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Natty_Dread

Default Let's Play Name That Shrub!

"SugarChile" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Sounds like castor bean. A quick search turned up this pic, you can
probably find better ones:
http://www.swapseeds.com/Castorbean.htm

It is cool looking, also quite poisonous.

Nope, that's not it. The leaves were much narrower than those, and more
long and stringy. Thanks for the idea, though. :-)

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Natty_Dread" wrote in message
I saw an interesting shrub today and I'm wondering if someone might be

able
to identify it. Actually, I guess it was more of a small tree than a
shrub -- it was about 4 feet tall with a weeping shape (although the

shape
might have been contrived, since I saw it at a fancy office building).

It
had long, thin branches that drooped downward (hence the weeping), and

each
branch had a series of regularly-spaced leaf shoots placed in twos

opposing
each other. Each leaf shoot had seven-fingered pattern that looked

exactly
like marijuana. (hehe...That's what caught my eye at first!) The

branches
were a mossy green color and the leaves a darker green tinged with

burgundy.
The leaves really did look almost exactly like pot leaves -- they had

the
same long, tapered shape with jagged edges in the same leaf pattern,

except
they weren't as wide as marijuana leaves.

I don't have a photo of the tree/shrub/bush, but if any of you master
gardeners out there know what it might be, please let me know. It was
really beautiful and I'd like to find a couple plant. I sneaked a small
cutting and am trying to root it, so I'd really like to know what it is.

Cheers,
Rhonda
Alexandria, VA - Zone 7a/b