Old 14-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Natty_Dread

Default Let's Play Name That Shrub!

I saw an interesting shrub today and I'm wondering if someone might be able
to identify it. Actually, I guess it was more of a small tree than a
shrub -- it was about 4 feet tall with a weeping shape (although the shape
might have been contrived, since I saw it at a fancy office building). It
had long, thin branches that drooped downward (hence the weeping), and each
branch had a series of regularly-spaced leaf shoots placed in twos opposing
each other. Each leaf shoot had seven-fingered pattern that looked exactly
like marijuana. (hehe...That's what caught my eye at first!) The branches
were a mossy green color and the leaves a darker green tinged with burgundy.
The leaves really did look almost exactly like pot leaves -- they had the
same long, tapered shape with jagged edges in the same leaf pattern, except
they weren't as wide as marijuana leaves.

I don't have a photo of the tree/shrub/bush, but if any of you master
gardeners out there know what it might be, please let me know. It was
really beautiful and I'd like to find a couple plant. I sneaked a small
cutting and am trying to root it, so I'd really like to know what it is.

Cheers,
Rhonda
Alexandria, VA - Zone 7a/b

Old 14-05-2003, 03:20 AM
SugarChile

Sounds like castor bean. A quick search turned up this pic, you can
probably find better ones:
http://www.swapseeds.com/Castorbean.htm

It is cool looking, also quite poisonous.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 14-05-2003, 04:20 AM
David J. Bockman

Probably a variety of Japanese Maple, Acer Palmatum.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ccd219e7/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/Draft-Render/_
_hr_Dcp_0432.jpg?

Dave

Old 14-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Marley1372

Each leaf shoot had seven-fingered pattern that looked exactly
like marijuana.

more than likley it is one of the green leaf varieties of japanese maple. Try
searching google for Acer palmatum 'Viridis'

but if any of you master
gardeners out there know what it might be

this might be one for the advanced master gardeners! hahahahaaa

Toad
Old 14-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12

Okay!

You run and hide and we will find you after you can name that shrub!!!!

You are only allowed to hide behind a Vitex agnus-castus shrub.

Old 14-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12

Nope, its not a Castor bean. That is an annual and the leaves are alternate
not in pairs.

rthlink.net...

Old 14-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Penny Morgan

I'm guessing you saw a Japanese Maple Tree. There are several different
varieties that have deeply grooved leaves and are tinged with burgundy or
completely red in color. Yes, they do look like marijuana plants!

They usually grow best in a bright light, shady area or just a little
morning sun only. Many people have them in corners near the front of their
houses in a shady spot as a nice focal point upon entering the house. You
can also grow them in a large pot.

Hope this helps.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 14-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Natty_Dread

"SugarChile" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Sounds like castor bean. A quick search turned up this pic, you can
probably find better ones:
http://www.swapseeds.com/Castorbean.htm

It is cool looking, also quite poisonous.

Nope, that's not it. The leaves were much narrower than those, and more
long and stringy. Thanks for the idea, though. :-)

Old 14-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Gloria Lenon

Could be a Coral tree (can be very bushy and doesn't grow very high) . Look
for red flower bracts - if so, its a Coral tree. Propagates very easily
from the seed pods. I have several in the yard. I live in zone 9 - Florida.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure