Old 14-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Peter H

Default Swimming pool filter/pump question

"Brigitte J." wrote in message

"Peter H" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
news
I hope someone here can help me. I am baffled by my most recent

problems.
My pump and filter both worked great last year, but this year it

doesn't
seem to do the job as quietly, or as well. The filter seems to be

making
lot of air bubble sounds on the return side. There are air bubbles

coming
out the return with the water. Any ideas what might be causing this?

What
can I do to eliminate this problem?

TIA,
Brigitte

Tighten down the clamps on the hoses that feed your pump. At the same

time
make sure that the drain plugs on the pump are tight and that the gasket

on
the site glass is on properly and the glass is tightened down.

Peter H

Everything is tightened down, but this morning upon inspecting everything,

noticed a tiny bit of water trickling from what appears to be a crack in

the
side-wall or seam of the area where the basket is on the pump. I'll bet
this is where the air is coming from. I have an old pump around here with

spare basket/sight piece. If I have all the parts/pieces for that, I'll
remove it from the old pump and put it on the existing one, unless anyone
can think of a way to "patch" this crack. I'd really rather patch it if
possible, then change out that piece. The area I have to work in is not
easy to access and the bending required to get in there really plays havoc
on my back. So any ideas on how to patch that area would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

The best thing to do here would be to remove the pump and inspect it
somewhere where you have the room and light to see what's going on. If the
pump itself is cracked I know of now way to repair it, but perhaps your
local pump guy will know what to do.

Peter H