Old 14-05-2003, 05:20 PM
David J. Bockman

Default Paulownia tomentosa again (was: Identification please)

Pawlownia is coveted in Japan, where it is called 'Princess Tree'.
Traditionally, the wood is used to make Hope Chests for brides-to-be. In
Japan the wood commands an insanely high price, which has spawned a whole
illicit trade in the wood. I had several enourmous old Pawlonia cut down by
poachers (actually a single individual who was ultimately arrested for doing
so) on my property in the Shenendoahs.

Dave

"Bill Spohn" wrote in message
Is this the one in the Sunday newspaper magazines that grow really,

really
fast? They make them sound like some miracle tree?

They look nice in spring, and do grow like weeds. There is a lumber

industry in
the Southeast for them, though I don't think I've ever seen anything made

from
Paulownia wood (one assumes a softwood).