Old 14-05-2003, 07:08 PM
David J. Bockman

Default [IBC] Purple Leaf Sand Cherry

Here are my notes on this plant:

Prunus x cistena, Purpleleaf Sand Cherry
Cross of P. pumila and P. cerasssifera ‘Atropurpurea’ Zone: 3 - 7
Habit – 7-10’H with slightly less spread
Flowers: single, pinkish, fragrant borne after leaves in late April-May,
Fruits: blackish-purple,
Leaves: intensely reddish purple, effective all summer. Elliptical,
acuminate, serrulate
D&I: struggle in heat of 7b and 8, nearly defoliated by summers end.

Even the very large shrubs I see at Brookside Botanical do not have
substantial trunks.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email: