Old 14-05-2003, 07:08 PM
David J. Bockman

Default [IBC] Purple Leaf Sand Cherry

Here are my notes on this plant:

Prunus x cistena, Purpleleaf Sand Cherry
Cross of P. pumila and P. cerasssifera ‘Atropurpurea’ Zone: 3 - 7
Habit – 7-10’H with slightly less spread
Flowers: single, pinkish, fragrant borne after leaves in late April-May,
Fruits: blackish-purple,
Leaves: intensely reddish purple, effective all summer. Elliptical,
acuminate, serrulate
D&I: struggle in heat of 7b and 8, nearly defoliated by summers end.

Even the very large shrubs I see at Brookside Botanical do not have
substantial trunks.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

Old 14-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Rich Conley

The ones at Home Depot are like $12 in 2 gallon pots...trunks a little bigger than my
thumb. (maybe 3/4 of an inch- an inch across) I live in MA if this helps any. I'm kind
of a newb...and one of the people on my street has one of these trees..like 6 feet
tall...4 or 5 wide....and its gorgeous....

At school (Boston U) there are a couple in front of the Student union..about 8 feet
high..with 5 or 6 inch wide trunks...

Old 16-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Rich,

I know exactly the tree/shrub you are talking about - I thought the same
thing. What initially perked my interest in it, however, is that I have a
tree at home that I've been told is a 1) Dwarf Japanse Plum AND 2) An
Ornamental Plum or some comination of those two things. The leaves and bark
color are identical to these Purple Leaf Sand Cherries. When I say
identical, I mean I can't tell any difference by just looking at them. So,
the large trees you are seeing are probably what I have in my yard vs. a
grown-up Sand Cherry. I could very well be wrong, but that would be my
guess.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Jim Lewis

Rich,

I know exactly the tree/shrub you are talking about - I thought

the same
thing. What initially perked my interest in it, however, is

that I have a
tree at home that I've been told is a 1) Dwarf Japanse Plum AND

2) An
Ornamental Plum or some comination of those two things. The

leaves and bark
color are identical to these Purple Leaf Sand Cherries. When I

say
identical, I mean I can't tell any difference by just looking

at them. So,
the large trees you are seeing are probably what I have in my

yard vs. a
grown-up Sand Cherry. I could very well be wrong, but that

would be my
guess.

Dirr says the purple-leafed sand cherry (P. x cistena -- see
related thread) is a cross between P. pumila and P. cerasifera
'Atropurpurea' and grows 7-10 feet tall. Foliage is "intensely
reddish purple and stays effective throughout the summer."
Flowers, he says, are single, pinkish and fragrant and appear
after the leaves. Zone 7-10. Leaves appear to be a BIT large
for the ideal bonsai -- but then, who am I to talk, I have a
bonsai peach ;-) -- 7-inch leaves!

I know of no purple-leafed plum that could or would be called
"Dwarf Japanese Plum" and "Ornamental Plum" is so generic it
could be anything -- but probably is P. x cistena.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 16-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Jim,

Like I said, I could well be wrong - however, the tree in my front yard gets
blossoms before leaves, it is 15-18' tall and has a 9" thick trunk. The
nursery where I see the sand cherries have them planted as landscaping and
they are fairly large (5-6' tall) - but all are multi-trunk and bushy. Mine
is a tree. I'm hoping to take an air layer or two off of it this summer,
because it has great bark, beautiful leaves and flowers and the one in my
yard appears to be rapidly approaching it's end.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

****
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] FW: [IBC] Purple leaf plum Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 2 09-09-2004 06:45 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Purple leaf plum Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 0 09-09-2004 02:48 PM
[IBC] Prunus besseyi, Western Sand Cherry Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 27-04-2004 03:04 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Help: Rabbit nabbed Purple Sand Cherry... Audrey Gardening 0 13-04-2003 02:20 AM