Old 15-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Pam

Default Japanese Maple-in a pot?

wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:42:44 GMT, Pam wrote:
TOM KAN PA wrote:

How long could a Japanese Maple tree be grown in a pot? I know it will
eventually have to be planted in the ground, but we're not sure where we want
it to permanently.

Depends on the cultivar of maple - some are very suited to container culture and
can remain in a pot indefinitely. Most of my maples are grown in containers. If
the pot is large enough to accomodate the tree and its root growth - many years.

pam - gardengal

What do you do during a zone 6 winter? I'd love to have a Japanese
Maple on my patio.

Swyck

I dunno - I'm not in zone 6 :-)) Seriously, container grown plants will need winter
protection in colder climates. You need to insure the soil in the container does not
freeze. Either the use of a pot big enough to prevent that from happening, wrapping
the pot to provide additional insulation or moving the pot to a protected location
should work. Keep the pot well hydrated during the winter, too, but not overly wet.

pam - gardengal