Old 15-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Anthony E Anson

Default japanese knot weed

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned that it is illegal to propagate
Japanese knotweed. Perhaps someone has and the post has dropped into a
hole somewhere.

The plant was discussed on GQT a few weeks ago and it was stated that
all the plants in this country until recently were a clone from a single
plant.

Since a male and a female plant is required for pollination and (IIRC)
the clone is female, spread can only be vegetative - *HOWEVER* a clone
of the other sex has been discovered, again IIRC, somewhere down in the
South West.

What I'd like to know is, how it is that Japan isn't one big thicket?

(And I only popped in again after an absence of several years to ask one
question....)

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi