Old 13-05-2003, 02:20 PM
hayley

Default japanese knot weed

what's the best (if any) way to get rid of this quickly please? TIA
Hayley

Old 13-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Bigjon

In a fit of excitement hayley uttered:

what's the best (if any) way to get rid of this quickly please? TIA
Hayley

Small clumps can be carefully dug up, making every attempt to remove all
sections of the rhizomes. Even small sections can serve as propagules for
another generation of plants. Continued monitoring is necessary, after
removal, to ensure that any new shoots arising from missed portions of the
rootstock are subsequently also removed. When clumps have become sizeable
it is futile to attempt to dig up plants. Yoiu will miss sections of
rhizome. The best means of control is through repetitive cutting of the
stems near the soil surface with the addition of spot application of a
systemic biodegradable herbicide like glyphosate (e.g., Roundup, Rodeo;
only the latter is approved for use near water). If no herbicide is
applied, the act of cutting the stems near the ground during the early to
mid part of the growing season results in depleting the food reserves
stored in the rhizomes that are necessary to produce new aerial shoots.
Several cuttings would likely be required during a single season followed
by a similar treatment the following and perhaps subsequent years until no
new shoots appear. The application of glyphosate by painting the cut stems
with the herbicide is likely to be more effective and a more rapid means of
eliminating the underground portions of the plant. Glyphosate can also be
sprayed on the entire plant, taking appropriate precautions in applying the
herbicide for personal health reasons and also to minimize spraying other
desirable plants.

Glyphosate is a non-selective herbicide so BE CAREFUL !!

plagurised & edited from:
http://www.angelfire.com/journal/ggb...RPKnotweed.htm

--
\\(º`¿´º)//
Old 13-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Jim W

hayley wrote:

what's the best (if any) way to get rid of this quickly please? TIA
Hayley

erm.. nuke it;-)

Dax Rootout http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html is recommended
for use on small areas, otherwise a Glyphosate containing herbicide may
have some effect. On large areas it may take several years.
Very small areas can be dug out if you ensure that ALL pieces of rhizome
are removed.
Always read the label on any pesticide and follow the instructions and
precautions.

I have a number of documents on Knotweed which I can email you if your
interested.
//
Jim W
North London, England, UK
Old 13-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"hayley" wrote in message
what's the best (if any) way to get rid of this quickly please? TIA

Two successful methods I've heard of...
1. Cut each stem in turn and using a small funnel pour strong weedkiller
(SBK Brushkiller) down the hollow stem. This gets directly down to the roots
and will kill the plant.
2. Mow the plants off and keep doing it as soon as you see growth. This will
take a season or two.

Ensure you dispose of the cuttings properly, contact your Council for
advise. The slightest bit containing a node will root again. Never dump it.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 13-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Drakanthus

Ensure you dispose of the cuttings properly, contact your Council for
advise. The slightest bit containing a node will root again. Never dump

it.
Bob

I noticed a large mature clump (approx 12 feet by 6 feet) growing on a grass
verge in the middle of the Derbyshire countryside last week. Made me wonder
how it got there. I suppose Japanese knot weed will eventually take over
much more of the countryside unless steps are taken to eradicate it.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 13-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Bigjon
writes
In a fit of excitement hayley uttered:

what's the best (if any) way to get rid of this quickly please? TIA
Hayley

Small clumps can be carefully dug up, making every attempt to remove all
sections of the rhizomes.

It's a notifiable plant and anything that you dig up has to be disposed
of in a proper manner. What ever you do - do not strim it down because
any little bit of stem will root into a new plant. There is lots of
information on this stuff on the web.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 13-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Elizabeth

"hayley" wrote in message
what's the best (if any) way to get rid of this quickly please? TIA
Hayley

Can anyone point to a site that gives clear photos of what Japanese knot
weed looks like?

Thanks

Elizabeth

Old 13-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Jim W

Elizabeth wrote:

"hayley" wrote in message
what's the best (if any) way to get rid of this quickly please? TIA
Hayley

Can anyone point to a site that gives clear photos of what Japanese knot
weed looks like?

Thanks

Elizabeth

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/Environme...ed/default.htm
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/envi...n/papers/knotw
eed.jpg
http://www.cswcd.org/noxious%20weeds...od%20photo.jpg
Or enter Knotweed into google or google images

Really ought to take some piccies next time I am at the allotment.
//
Jim
Old 13-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
Ensure you dispose of the cuttings properly, contact your Council for
advise. The slightest bit containing a node will root again. Never dump

it.
Bob

I noticed a large mature clump (approx 12 feet by 6 feet) growing on a

grass
verge in the middle of the Derbyshire countryside last week. Made me

wonder
how it got there. I suppose Japanese knot weed will eventually take over
much more of the countryside unless steps are taken to eradicate it.
--

Some years ago I noticed a small clump by the road just on the Middlesex
side of Chertsey Bridge. It now extends along that whole section of road and

Old 14-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Jane Ransom

In article ,
Elizabeth writes

"hayley" wrote in message
what's the best (if any) way to get rid of this quickly please? TIA
Hayley

Can anyone point to a site that gives clear photos of what Japanese knot
weed looks like?

Go on to google and use japanese knotweed as a search criteria - the
sites are endless.

Old 15-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Anthony E Anson

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned that it is illegal to propagate
Japanese knotweed. Perhaps someone has and the post has dropped into a
hole somewhere.

The plant was discussed on GQT a few weeks ago and it was stated that
all the plants in this country until recently were a clone from a single
plant.

Since a male and a female plant is required for pollination and (IIRC)
the clone is female, spread can only be vegetative - *HOWEVER* a clone
of the other sex has been discovered, again IIRC, somewhere down in the
South West.

What I'd like to know is, how it is that Japan isn't one big thicket?

(And I only popped in again after an absence of several years to ask one
question....)

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 15-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Jim W

Anthony E Anson wrote:

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned that it is illegal to propagate
Japanese knotweed. Perhaps someone has and the post has dropped into a
hole somewhere.

The plant was discussed on GQT a few weeks ago and it was stated that
all the plants in this country until recently were a clone from a single
plant.

Since a male and a female plant is required for pollination and (IIRC)
the clone is female, spread can only be vegetative - *HOWEVER* a clone
of the other sex has been discovered, again IIRC, somewhere down in the
South West.

Apart from the Haringey sport that is.
//
Jim

Old 17-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Sue

"Anthony E Anson" wrote
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned that it is illegal to propagate
Japanese knotweed.

snip
What I'd like to know is, how it is that Japan isn't one big thicket?

Apparently there are various natural pests and fungal diseases that attack
it in its proper home so that it grows far less vigorously.

Sue

Old 17-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:
"Anthony E Anson" wrote
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned that it is illegal to propagate
Japanese knotweed.

snip
What I'd like to know is, how it is that Japan isn't one big thicket?

Apparently there are various natural pests and fungal diseases that attack
it in its proper home so that it grows far less vigorously.

And I bet if we imported them they'd attack something we want to preserve!

Old 19-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Michael Berridge

Sue wrote in message ...

"Anthony E Anson" wrote
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned that it is illegal to propagate
Japanese knotweed.

snip
What I'd like to know is, how it is that Japan isn't one big thicket?

Apparently there are various natural pests and fungal diseases that

attack
it in its proper home so that it grows far less vigorously.

Yes but to bring them in means releasing another pest into the UK, and
we just don't know what is might do to other plants here. In the same
way that we didn't know what a pest knotweed would be when it was
introduced.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk