Old 15-05-2003, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Shareholdes Pond Status

Water is cycling nicely, and is staying fresh and clean. There is no odor
from the pond, and handfuls are crystal clear.

The clay is still an issue, but I have decided to not fight it since I still
have to finish the landscaping in the pond area. I figure no use cleaning
the water of clay, if I am just going to knock more in.

To date, the water is still foggy with clay, but it is clearing. You can see
close to a foot down now, and the water has taken on a green hue, ever so
slightly, near the middle of the pond. I hope/think this means the water is
clearing enough that I am getting some algae going. Yahoo!

This weekend, I intend to finish the grading and landscaping so I can stop
the clay from leaching into the water from the surrounding area. At this
time the VF will be enlarged and lowered to increase the volume, which
should help with settle-age.

Was able to procure some nice sized rocks from a local construction site. I
hope to use these around the back edge of the pond, below the trees for a
natural effect. I think I will have a small pile near the outflow pipe as
well in order to hide the pipe, and to offset the pile on the opposite side.

Plants are thriving. The peach lily is sending up new leaves, and is huge
now. One lotus tuber has sent up two shoots, and the dwarf tuber has two
shoots as well. The ornamental (from supermarket) grasses love the water, as
do the iris in the VF. My one WH, has roots that have multiplied about 10x
in volume. Yahoo! Time to buy more! My miniature lily has not sprung yet. I
am beginning to worry that I planted it too deep. The Anacharis...is growing
like a weed. The bunches I tossed in have nearly doubled in length.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond