Old 15-05-2003, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Shareholdes Pond Status

Water is cycling nicely, and is staying fresh and clean. There is no odor
from the pond, and handfuls are crystal clear.

The clay is still an issue, but I have decided to not fight it since I still
have to finish the landscaping in the pond area. I figure no use cleaning
the water of clay, if I am just going to knock more in.

To date, the water is still foggy with clay, but it is clearing. You can see
close to a foot down now, and the water has taken on a green hue, ever so
slightly, near the middle of the pond. I hope/think this means the water is
clearing enough that I am getting some algae going. Yahoo!

This weekend, I intend to finish the grading and landscaping so I can stop
the clay from leaching into the water from the surrounding area. At this
time the VF will be enlarged and lowered to increase the volume, which
should help with settle-age.

Was able to procure some nice sized rocks from a local construction site. I
hope to use these around the back edge of the pond, below the trees for a
natural effect. I think I will have a small pile near the outflow pipe as
well in order to hide the pipe, and to offset the pile on the opposite side.

Plants are thriving. The peach lily is sending up new leaves, and is huge
now. One lotus tuber has sent up two shoots, and the dwarf tuber has two
shoots as well. The ornamental (from supermarket) grasses love the water, as
do the iris in the VF. My one WH, has roots that have multiplied about 10x
in volume. Yahoo! Time to buy more! My miniature lily has not sprung yet. I
am beginning to worry that I planted it too deep. The Anacharis...is growing
like a weed. The bunches I tossed in have nearly doubled in length.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 15-05-2003, 03:56 PM
K30a

All sounds good.
Isn't this fun?

and
bv wrote A
HREF="http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/extra/TLE2003May15.html"http:
//sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/extra/TLE2003May15.html/A.

thanks for the link.
Us insominacs get to see all sorts of kewl stuff
at night.

k30a
Old 15-05-2003, 04:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message
All sounds good.
Isn't this fun?

I just want to get done and running, so I can enjoy it without tracking mud
back in the house.

and
bv wrote A
HREF="http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/extra/TLE2003May15.html"http:
//sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/extra/TLE2003May15.html/A.

thanks for the link.
Us insominacs get to see all sorts of kewl stuff
at night.

Hopefully the clouds will clear.

BV.

Old 17-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Jeff,

We went to your site. First time. Looking good!

You are right to wait and see what the WH does. It will
mmmuuuulllltttiiippplllyyy like crazy! As you have no load on the pond now,
you can easily wait. Congratulations on getting under way. Jim thinks your
plants will help clear your water.

Keep us posted on progress.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 21-05-2003, 03:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message ...
Hi Jeff,

We went to your site. First time. Looking good!

You are right to wait and see what the WH does. It will
mmmuuuulllltttiiippplllyyy like crazy! As you have no load on the pond

now,
you can easily wait. Congratulations on getting under way. Jim thinks

your
plants will help clear your water.

Keep us posted on progress.

Thanks for the compliments...Personally, I think my pond site is drab, but
I'd rather spend time on the pond, then the pond site. *laugh*

As a further update on status...

Rocks are piled around the back edge now, and I have planted some grasses in
them. I got a nice arrangement with some in the water, some out and some
overhanging. I want to get a few more to finish the back area up...pictures
are coming, I promise.

I also created a second small rock area near the front edge of the pond to
balance the larger rock area in the back. Variegated English thyme planted
in the crevasses.

I planted Ivy along the side edge (North end) where the retaining wall will
go eventually, and I have laid down turf grass seed everywhere, in hopes of
binding up the remaining clay. It seems to have stopped leaching into the
water, but I think the grass will help keep chunks from falling in.

My neighbor gave me about 1/2 dozen tree frog taddies. Every now and then we
still see one or two. Hope they make it.

The main pond area is graded and looking nice.

This weekend, if I get time and sun, I hope to finish the grading around the
VF. I also need to trim the VF liner, and plant the surrounding plants. I
hope to then split up my iris, and do a few other tasks.

I am close to done for this phase. Thanks for the continued support.

BV.

Old 23-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Steve Watson

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in message ...
[....]
[...]

FYI:
Last week on another "Shareholders" thread, I enthused about a plant I
could not spell the name of. I have now found the plant, and the name
(last night in the garden centre of the local HD): _Oenanthes
javanica_ "Flamingo", a.k.a. Variegated Water Celery. Googling on
"oenanthes" turns out to be a bit chancy, as it is also the name of a
genus of birds, and another of fungi. Good hit:
http://www.aqualys.qc.ca/Html/MillieuxHumides.html and scroll down
alphabetically (the French is pretty easy).

-- Steve
Old 23-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Steve Watson wrote:

FYI:
Last week on another "Shareholders" thread, I enthused about a plant I
could not spell the name of. I have now found the plant, and the name
(last night in the garden centre of the local HD): _Oenanthes
javanica_ "Flamingo", a.k.a. Variegated Water Celery. Googling on
"oenanthes" turns out to be a bit chancy, as it is also the name of a
genus of birds, and another of fungi. Good hit:
http://www.aqualys.qc.ca/Html/MillieuxHumides.html and scroll down
alphabetically (the French is pretty easy).

-- Steve

I tried the variegated water celery in my pond and did not
have any luck with the plant. I think the regular plant
over took the variegated version. So, if you want the
variegated water celery, don't put it near the regular water
celery.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 23-05-2003, 02:57 PM
BenignVanilla

"Steve Watson" wrote in message
om...
snip
FYI:
Last week on another "Shareholders" thread, I enthused about a plant I
could not spell the name of. I have now found the plant, and the name
(last night in the garden centre of the local HD): _Oenanthes
javanica_ "Flamingo", a.k.a. Variegated Water Celery. Googling on
"oenanthes" turns out to be a bit chancy, as it is also the name of a
genus of birds, and another of fungi. Good hit:
http://www.aqualys.qc.ca/Html/MillieuxHumides.html and scroll down
alphabetically (the French is pretty easy).

You got it at cheapo depot? I'll have to head over!!!

BV.

Old 25-05-2003, 01:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Yes, the Varigated variety isn't as invasive as the green, still tasty to
the fish, I keep mine so the fish can't swim into/above the basket. ~ jan

Steve Watson wrote:

FYI:
Last week on another "Shareholders" thread, I enthused about a plant I
could not spell the name of. I have now found the plant, and the name
(last night in the garden centre of the local HD): _Oenanthes
javanica_ "Flamingo", a.k.a. Variegated Water Celery. Googling on
"oenanthes" turns out to be a bit chancy, as it is also the name of a
genus of birds, and another of fungi. Good hit:
http://www.aqualys.qc.ca/Html/MillieuxHumides.html and scroll down
alphabetically (the French is pretty easy).

-- Steve

I tried the variegated water celery in my pond and did not
have any luck with the plant. I think the regular plant
over took the variegated version. So, if you want the
variegated water celery, don't put it near the regular water
celery.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 26-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Steve Watson

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote in message . ..
Yes, the Varigated variety isn't as invasive as the green, still tasty to
the fish, I keep mine so the fish can't swim into/above the basket. ~ jan

Mine is in the edge rocks, so the fish really can't get at it. The
only thing it has to compete with is some wild horsetail (not the
nice-looking bamboo-ish variety. This is kind of ugly scrubby short
stuff. I weed it aggressively to encourage the celery instead.