Old 15-05-2003, 04:32 PM
PlainBill

Default What's going on here? (long)

John,

I've looked over the barrel rather carefully, and it looks like
TPO has modified it quite a few times. There are several extra holes,
most patched rather crudely, and there are several leaks.

My current plan is to obtain a 55 gallon plastic drum (any suggestions
where?) and use it as the shell of the new filter. I'd put the drain
(cleanout) fitting in the bottom, and bring the inlet about a foot up
from the bottom, aiming the stream parallel to the side of the drum.
Just above the inlet would be the grate supporting the filter media.
I'd put a fitting for the outlet within 6 inches of the top. All of
the assembly could be done at my lesiure, then moving it into service
fairly quickly.

One thing I'm very vague about is the filter media itself. I've seen
air conditioner filters, vinyl screening, floor scrubber pads, plastic
balls, etc. mentioned. Right now this looks like a fairly
inexpensive project, and I'd like to keep it that way - say no more
than $100 for the media. What would you suggest using? Or is my
budget too low?

Thanks,

PlainBill

On Wed, 14 May 2003 20:29:04 -0600, John Rutz
wrote:

PlainBill wrote:
On Wed, 14 May 2003 13:21:26 -0600, John Rutz
wrote:

welcome to the group I have attempted to Partialy answer some of your
questions
answers are scattered through youur post marked with **

SNIP

.

** Pump probly needs upgrading to a 750 or so reccomended to pump pond volume through the filte4r

once per hour ( twice is OK too)

Hmm, Am I dropping a decimal point? 20 Gallons per minute X 60
minutes per hour = 1200 GPH. This was a 'guesstimate' - The inlet to
the barrel is about 1/3 of the way up, the outlet about 2/3. When the
pump is turned off, the water flows back out through the pump until it
drops below the inlet (no check valve). It takes less than a minute
from the time the pump is turned on until water flows out the outlet.

not you me I read that as 60 gph not gpm sorry
your 1200 iis just fine

sounds like your on the road puttin a drain in the filter would
definitly help you to clean it easier

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com