Old 14-05-2003, 07:20 PM
PlainBill

Default What's going on here? (long)

OK, I hope someone is prepared to deal with another newbie, because I
don't have a clue. The trouble started when my wife decided we should
sell our 4-2 with pool in Florida and move to Arizona. Foolishly
thinking we would be moving into a smaller, easier to care for home, I
agreed. The new home is bigger, older, also has a pool, and two
'ponds' - holes in the ground, lined with concrete, containing plants
and fish. The better built of the two has about a dozen very fat
goldfish; the other has five koi ranging from about 15" to two feet.
Each pond has it's own 'filter' - a 55 gallon drum.

I had the opportunity to discuss the care of the ponds with the
previous owner. He said the plants were in the ponds to "clean the
water". He also said it was a good idea to remove the alge (stringy
stuff) before it choked the ponds.

He also suggested each filter be cleaned every couple of weeks, so
when I noticed a froth on the surface of the koi pond, I decided to
tackle that one. Per his instructions, I turned off the water, pulled
the top off the drum, and disassembled it. The 'filter media'
consists of two 2" thick disks of foam rubber - one looks suspiciously
like something you would put on top of a matress for more cushion.
The other has several 4" diameter holes hacked in it. Again,
following his directions, I hosed the 'filters' clean, and cleaned out
the drum. After reassembling it, turning on the pump, etc. I decided
to figure out if there was a better way. (When I checked the next day
the koi were doing well, there is slightly less froth, and the water
seems to be clearer).

I grew up on a farm and have cleaned out both cattle barns and pig
pens; I've changed my share of diapers, as well as unplugged a toilet
or two. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty, but don't look
forward to it. I'm not afraid to spend money, but don't want to waste
it.

A little research on the internet left me more confused. The first
thing I discovered is there are quite a few companies selling "Koi
pond filters", and every one of them claim their filter is the best,
and all others are junk. Some even claim to offer some scientific
basis for their claims. Most of the claims contradict one another,
some contradict themselves. Some defy common sense.

I've concluded that the majority of the cleanup is done by the
plants, and the filter is there only to remove the heavier material.
I'm not sure why the foam rubber was in the filter - most of the water
will bypass it, and rinsing it with city water will kill and bacteria
(according to some opinions). The filter certainly is removing
something - I got quite a lot of crud out of it.

Some more information - the koi pond is about 5' x 14' x 18" - about
700 gallons. The pump moves about 20 gallons per minute. I don't
recognise the plants that are growing in the pond, but hope to have
pictures up on a website once I figure out how to do that on my new
ISP.

One of the things I came across in my research was "The Skippy
Filter", which looks like it might actually do a better job of
cleaning the water at a reasonable price. Does it work as well as he
claims? I'm not afraid to spend money, but don't want to try anything
that might result in some dead koi!!

Also, the previous owner had placed a bag of barley? in each pond to
control the alge. (He described that as 'experimental'). Does it
actually work? There is a lot of string alge growing in the ponds,
some of it on the bag of barley.

Thanks,

PlainBill
Old 14-05-2003, 08:20 PM
K30a

Hello Bill,

You've come to the right place!

I'm just going to ramble here until the real
experts show up ;-)

Plants are valuable in the pond.
They help keep the pea soup green water at bay.
The more plants the less 'food' for the single cell
algae to feast on. The plants are converting ammonia
throught the nitrate/nitrite (or the other way around)
into useable stuff for the plants.

The froth in the koi pond may be caused by the koi
spawning or frogs and/or toads.

The filter certainly is removing

something - I got quite a lot of crud out of it.

We call it mulm - all the stuff that the fish produce and whatever falls into
the pond. The foam rubber is acting
as a mechanical filter.

The thing that I think almost anyone on rec.ponds agrees on is that a DIY
filter is much better than almost any commercial filters out there for most
ponders. And is the cheapest way to do stuff.

Our 3,000 gallon pond with koi and goldfish uses a 150 gallon stock tank,
simple upflow through vinyl screening, acting as both a mechanical filter and
biological filter. In the summer it is topped with floating plants (water
hyacinth) to further filter the water. The thing can run for a year and when we
clean it everything smells river water sweet which tells me it is working fine.

The biggest mistake most ponders make is to overstock their ponds and then
overfeed their stock. It takes a real deft hand to managae an overstocked pond,
most of us can't do it and end up with pea soup water and dead fish.

Now I'll step aside for the experts....

k30a
Old 14-05-2003, 08:32 PM
John Rutz

welcome to the group I have attempted to Partialy answer some of your
questions
answers are scattered through youur post marked with **

PlainBill wrote:
OK, I hope someone is prepared to deal with another newbie, because I
don't have a clue. The better built of the two has about a dozen very fat
goldfish; the other has five koi ranging from about 15" to two feet.
Each pond has it's own 'filter' - a 55 gallon drum.

**Ok first off you have too many Koi for a 700 gal pond but that can be
overcome by a good filter

I had the opportunity to discuss the care of the ponds with the
previous owner. He said the plants were in the ponds to "clean the
water". He also said it was a good idea to remove the alge (stringy
stuff) before it choked the ponds.

** alittle algae is a good lthing the Koi will eat it and it helps with
filtration by helping rid the pond of amonia nitrite and nitrate

[...]

** thats good I would personaly look into replacing the foam rubber
tho, if you want to keep that in service window screen wire, strapping
tape and air conditoner filter( blue foam lookin stuff) have all been used

Some more information - the koi pond is about 5' x 14' x 18" - about
700 gallons. The pump moves about 20 gallons per minute. I don't
recognise the plants that are growing in the pond, but hope to have
pictures up on a website once I figure out how to do that on my new
ISP

..
** Pump probly needs upgrading to a 750 or so reccomended to pump pond volume through the filte4r

once per hour ( twice is OK too)

One of the things I came across in my research was "The Skippy
Filter", which looks like it might actually do a better job of
cleaning the water at a reasonable price. Does it work as well as he
claims? I'm not afraid to spend money, but don't want to try anything
that might result in some dead koi!!

** Skippys filter is a good one lots of us are using it or a variation
of it

Also, the previous owner had placed a bag of barley? in each pond to
control the alge. (He described that as 'experimental'). Does it
actually work? There is a lot of string alge growing in the ponds,
some of it on the bag of barley.

*** the jury is still out on that it works for some but not others

Thanks,

PlainBill

-- Look for Jan Jordans posts and check out her filter its a good one
I have a version of it on my website also
others will chime in with other ideas and suggestions over the next few
days see what seems to be best for you

dont hesitate to ask any question you come up with we are happy to try
to answer
here are a couple good sites to answer some of your questions I cant
find the faq link

http://www.click2roark.com/cgi-win/w...ocument=index2

http://pondrushes.net/

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 15-05-2003, 02:32 AM
PlainBill

On Wed, 14 May 2003 13:21:26 -0600, John Rutz
wrote:

welcome to the group I have attempted to Partialy answer some of your
questions
answers are scattered through youur post marked with **

SNIP

.
** Pump probly needs upgrading to a 750 or so reccomended to pump pond volume through the filte4r

once per hour ( twice is OK too)

Hmm, Am I dropping a decimal point? 20 Gallons per minute X 60
minutes per hour = 1200 GPH. This was a 'guesstimate' - The inlet to
the barrel is about 1/3 of the way up, the outlet about 2/3. When the
pump is turned off, the water flows back out through the pump until it
drops below the inlet (no check valve). It takes less than a minute
from the time the pump is turned on until water flows out the outlet.

One of the things I came across in my research was "The Skippy
Filter", which looks like it might actually do a better job of
cleaning the water at a reasonable price. Does it work as well as he
claims? I'm not afraid to spend money, but don't want to try anything
that might result in some dead koi!!

** Skippys filter is a good one lots of us are using it or a variation
of it

My current idea (subject to revision, based on suggestions) is to
modify the current filter by shortning the inlet 'riser' so it is
perhaps 6" above the bottom of the barrel, add a plastic grate just
above the inlet, and then fill the space up to the outlet tube with
'floor scrubber media' as described by Skippy. Given the filtering
the plants provide, would this provide sufficient filtering?

The previous owner (tpo) had a slightly different filter arrangement
for the goldfish pond. He has elevated that barrel about 6", and
hooked up a drain with shut-off valve. When he cleaned that filter he
simply hooked up a large hose which was run over to a 'settling area',
opened the valve, and rinsed everything out through the hose. That
certainly qualifies as an easier way, and I had considered duplicating
it for the koi pond. However, I'd also like to improve the water
quality in the pond. I assume swimming pool clean is neither possible
nor desirable.

As always, thanks for any suggestions.

PlainBill

[...]

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression, for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
-Thomas Paine
Old 15-05-2003, 02:56 AM
AZKalEl

Hi Bill welcome to AZ!
Are you in the Valley? If so, the warm weather here may explain the
froth...I am in Mesa and our koi have been frothing up the water with
romance for the last few weeks as the temperatures climb. (For those
of you not in the Phoenix metro area, we're expecting our first 100
degree temperatures any day now...*sigh*) My koi generally decide
it's too hot for mating around the beginning of June, so if that's
what's happening, it should be only temporary.
As for the rest, we have a great pond store out here in east Mesa and
I know some great resources for pond plants if you want to drop me an
email. Plants do make all the difference!

Old 15-05-2003, 03:44 AM
John Rutz

wrote:

welcome to the group I have attempted to Partialy answer some of your
questions
answers are scattered through youur post marked with **

SNIP

.

** Pump probly needs upgrading to a 750 or so reccomended to pump pond volume through the filte4r

once per hour ( twice is OK too)

Hmm, Am I dropping a decimal point? 20 Gallons per minute X 60
minutes per hour = 1200 GPH. This was a 'guesstimate' - The inlet to
the barrel is about 1/3 of the way up, the outlet about 2/3. When the
pump is turned off, the water flows back out through the pump until it
drops below the inlet (no check valve). It takes less than a minute
from the time the pump is turned on until water flows out the outlet.

not you me I read that as 60 gph not gpm sorry
your 1200 iis just fine

sounds like your on the road puttin a drain in the filter would
definitly help you to clean it easier

Old 15-05-2003, 01:32 PM
J.D. Stone

Bill, I use a modified Skippy filter. My pond stays clear. I do not have a
fish overload, though. I clean it once a year.
JD
http://www.nrgy.com/pond.htm

Old 15-05-2003, 04:32 PM
PlainBill

John,

I've looked over the barrel rather carefully, and it looks like
TPO has modified it quite a few times. There are several extra holes,
most patched rather crudely, and there are several leaks.

My current plan is to obtain a 55 gallon plastic drum (any suggestions
where?) and use it as the shell of the new filter. I'd put the drain
(cleanout) fitting in the bottom, and bring the inlet about a foot up
from the bottom, aiming the stream parallel to the side of the drum.
Just above the inlet would be the grate supporting the filter media.
I'd put a fitting for the outlet within 6 inches of the top. All of
the assembly could be done at my lesiure, then moving it into service
fairly quickly.

One thing I'm very vague about is the filter media itself. I've seen
air conditioner filters, vinyl screening, floor scrubber pads, plastic
balls, etc. mentioned. Right now this looks like a fairly
inexpensive project, and I'd like to keep it that way - say no more
than $100 for the media. What would you suggest using? Or is my
budget too low?

Thanks,

PlainBill

Old 15-05-2003, 07:56 PM
John Rutz

PlainBill wrote:
[...]

nope budget is OK as for the barel try a large carwash I got mine from
one just rinse the soap out real well, or a large food processing
plant might let you have one the rest sounds fine as to drains etc
another option for the barel is a container supply but a new food safe
plastic barrel can run close to 100.00

I have and am still having good luck with the blue aircond filter from
wall mart one roll is all you need last time I bought it it was about
30 dollars
check with a home depot or similar for male & female threaded to slip
pipe adapters they, with a litle silicone or RTV rubber, make good (and
cheap) bulkhead fittings examples of some in place are on my website

oh use the largest you can find for the outlet, I tried 2 inch in and 2
inch out and had overflow problems had to switch to 4 in out

Old 15-05-2003, 08:20 PM
D. Wain Garrison

There is a small local bakery here in south Florida.
that has an occasional 55 plastic they sell.

D. Wain Garrison
If you can read you can learn anything, for
there are those smarter than you who can
write, however, not everyone who can write
is smarter than you.

Old 15-05-2003, 08:56 PM
PlainBill

John,

I've a fair amount of experience with the mechanical part, and don't
expect too many problems with the fittings. Home Depot and I are old
friends.

I appreciate the hint on keeping the outlet fitting large enough.
I'll figure on picking up the filter media from Wal-mart. There are a
couple in the neighborhood.

Car wash, huh? Yeah, I can give those a try.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 17-05-2003, 04:32 AM
~ jan

John wrote to PlainBill:

-- Look for Jan Jordans posts and check out her filter its a good one

Hi Bill, Don't know if my filter is easier or harder to build than
skippy's, but I bet it's easier to maintain as it's horizontal flow in
chambers. At my website, if you click on *My filter* you will see a diagram
of how we added a bottom drain & skimmer without going thru the liner, you
also see the top of the chambered filter and the story about it, not to
mention how to start the syphon.

Under the Demon Pond filter you will see a diagram with the parts on how to
make the chambered filter and where parts were purchased. Keep us
informed, we're always excited when someone "inherits" a pond and how they
make out. Our main goal here is to hook... ah help you, so you don't fill
them in. Ya see, we have a saying around he "Cue up Theme from Star Trek
Next Generation" **We are _Porg_! Resistence is futile, you will be
pond-elated.** ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 17-05-2003, 04:56 PM
PlainBill

~jan,

Thanks, I've already taken a look at your filter. It's a little
overwhelming for a newbie like me. Based on time, money, and space,
I've decided to go with a variation of the skippy filter. John has
given me excellent advice on materials, I've found a local source for
a 55 gallon drum ($12.00), and hope to get this together in the next
week.

Now for the final touch. TPO had the filter outlet aimed into the
center of the pond, the water dropping about four feet, which created
a lot of aeration and a nice waterfall sound. Does anyone have any
ideas on how to disguise a 55 gallon drum as part of the landscape?
I've considering building a waterfall in front of it, but am concerned
about poorer aeration, and don't really have the foggiest idea how to
build one.

PlainBill

Old 17-05-2003, 05:44 PM
K30a

Hi Bill,

Instead of a waterfall you could disguise the outlet as part of a fountain type
arrangement.
Like a screen of bamboo poles with the outlet coming out a larger bamboo pole.

k30a