Old 15-05-2003, 06:56 PM
jo

Default Repelling skeeters

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
news
It was interesting to note what Dennis Avery (agricultural and pesticide
expert) thought about all these natural repellents.
http://www.cgfi.com/materials/articl...2/aug_8_02.htm
Jo

It was interesting, but what do we know about Avery and the Hudson
Institute?

Aahh, that's interesting too.

During the Reagan era Avery was a government official. He has skillfully
defended biotechnology, irradiation of food, use of synthetic pesticides and
so on in articles, on TV, in Washington... He wrote the book Saving the
Planet with Pesticides and Plastic. His platform is that producing more on
less acreage by using the technologies stated above will help save the
rainforest and help feed third world nations.

The Hudson Institute is a "public policy research center" (or some would say
right wing think tank) and their interests are much broader than just global
agriculture.

Some "agricutural and pesticide experts" are employed by pesticide
manufacturers,

No doubt.

Organic foods are highly desirable by consumers who are concerned about what
they are eating, and feeding their children. It's no surprise that interest
in organic foods has been growing annually. There are alot more than just
the pesticide lobby who have something to gain from anti-organic special
interests.

and some "Institutes" are industry fronts.

Do you infer that corporations like the international food provider who saw
something like 23 billion dollars in sales last year has the finances to
serve their own interests in Washington? or biotech giants?
Excuse me while I go hug one of my trees!
Hhmmm...Now shall it be the Off or Repel?....just want to stay on topic.

Ever have insect repellent ruin your plastic watch crystal, or your nail
polish (Vince, this is purely a rhetorical question)? What about people who
apply repellent to their legs and then see the designs from the plastic
shopping bag they were holding transfer to their skin? Yep, it makes me
concerned. West Niles, Malaria, etc...make me concerned too. It's a
balance of risk factors. I'm glad to have at least a choice.
Jo

vince norris