Old 12-05-2003, 10:56 PM
JNJ

Default Repelling skeeters

I received some interesting skeeter repellant solutions from a friend and
thought I'd pass them along. If nothing else, they should make for some fun
discussion.

James

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...Best thing ever used in Louisiana..just
wipe on & go...Great for Babies

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October .
He said it works. He was right. Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try
it. Every one he has talked into trying it works on them. Vitamin B-1(
Thiamin Hydrochloride 100 mg.)

If you eat bananas, the mosquitoes like you, - something about the banana
oil as your body processes it. Stop eating bananas for the summer and the
mosquitoes will be much less interested.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents someone
found (who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs do
not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without
using insecticides.

"Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say that
the very best mosquito repellant you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil
mixed about half and half with alcohol.

One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from
the clear real vanilla. This is the pure Vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It
works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects.

Old 13-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Dane Bramage

************************************************* *******

[...]

The skeeters around my place are fierce (neighbors seem to be
collecting old tires or maybe they breed mosquitos for export. Who
knows?) anyway, I found that a sprig or 3 of peppermint tucked under
my hat keeps the bugs away.
Old 13-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 12 May 2003 22:00:57 -0400, Dane Bramage WhereAmI@anyway?
wrote:

snip
knows?) anyway, I found that a sprig or 3 of peppermint tucked under
my hat keeps the bugs away.

I wish our problem were that easy. I tried various mint plants
without much effect. Even with using DEET, I had a tick crawling on
my leg but was lucky he did not dig in. Our school counseler got Lyme
disease, and did not realize how serious this can be. Along with the
DEET, make sure there is no standing water anywhere--gutters, bird
baths, old tires, containers, saucers, watering cans, etc. It takes a
mosquito to hatch, pupate, and emerge in about a week so if you flush
out your birdbath twice a week it will be fine. I've got hundreds of
rosy reds in my pond which are very fond of mosquito larva.
Old 14-05-2003, 08:44 PM
jo

"JNJ" wrote in message
I received some interesting skeeter repellant solutions from a friend and
thought I'd pass them along. If nothing else, they should make for some

fun
discussion.

James

My skeeters are rolling on the floor flaunting their proboscises!

DEET is the only thing that seems to work over a long period of time. I've
had some success with Repel. It's a lemon-eucalyptus product, effective for
2 to 4 hours at a time, this is long enough for an evening walk or a couple
hours in the garden.

It was interesting to note what Dennis Avery (agricultural and pesticide
expert) thought about all these natural repellents.
http://www.cgfi.com/materials/articl...2/aug_8_02.htm
Jo

Old 15-05-2003, 03:20 AM
vincent p. norris

It was interesting to note what Dennis Avery (agricultural and pesticide
expert) thought about all these natural repellents.
http://www.cgfi.com/materials/articl...2/aug_8_02.htm
Jo

It was interesting, but what do we know about Avery and the Hudson
Institute?

Some "agricutural and pesticide experts" are employed by pesticide
manufacturers, and some "Institutes" are industry fronts.

vince norris

Old 15-05-2003, 06:56 PM
jo

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
news
It was interesting to note what Dennis Avery (agricultural and pesticide
expert) thought about all these natural repellents.
http://www.cgfi.com/materials/articl...2/aug_8_02.htm
Jo

It was interesting, but what do we know about Avery and the Hudson
Institute?

Aahh, that's interesting too.

During the Reagan era Avery was a government official. He has skillfully
defended biotechnology, irradiation of food, use of synthetic pesticides and
so on in articles, on TV, in Washington... He wrote the book Saving the
Planet with Pesticides and Plastic. His platform is that producing more on
less acreage by using the technologies stated above will help save the
rainforest and help feed third world nations.

The Hudson Institute is a "public policy research center" (or some would say
right wing think tank) and their interests are much broader than just global
agriculture.

Some "agricutural and pesticide experts" are employed by pesticide
manufacturers,

No doubt.

Organic foods are highly desirable by consumers who are concerned about what
they are eating, and feeding their children. It's no surprise that interest
in organic foods has been growing annually. There are alot more than just
the pesticide lobby who have something to gain from anti-organic special
interests.

and some "Institutes" are industry fronts.

Do you infer that corporations like the international food provider who saw
something like 23 billion dollars in sales last year has the finances to
serve their own interests in Washington? or biotech giants?
Excuse me while I go hug one of my trees!
Hhmmm...Now shall it be the Off or Repel?....just want to stay on topic.

Ever have insect repellent ruin your plastic watch crystal, or your nail
polish (Vince, this is purely a rhetorical question)? What about people who
apply repellent to their legs and then see the designs from the plastic
shopping bag they were holding transfer to their skin? Yep, it makes me
concerned. West Niles, Malaria, etc...make me concerned too. It's a
balance of risk factors. I'm glad to have at least a choice.
Jo

vince norris

Old 16-05-2003, 01:08 AM
vincent p. norris

Thanks for your informative response, Jo.

During the Reagan era Avery was a government official.

That sentence tells me all I need to know!

He has skillfully
defended biotechnology, irradiation of food, use of synthetic pesticides and
so on in articles, on TV, in Washington... He wrote the book Saving the
Planet with Pesticides and Plastic. His platform is that producing more on
less acreage by using the technologies stated above will help save the
rainforest and help feed third world nations.

What that means is, "let's buy lots more chemicals from the companies
that hire me as a consutant."

The Hudson Institute is a "public policy research center" (or some would say
right wing think tank)

I suspected as much.

and their interests are much broader than just global agriculture.

I would suggest that their "interest" is nsot agriculture at all;
agriculture is just the means to their ends: the profits of the firms
that underwrite the institute..

Do you infer that corporations like the international food provider who saw
something like 23 billion dollars in sales last year has the finances to
serve their own interests in Washington? or biotech giants?
Excuse me while I go hug one of my trees!
Hhmmm...Now shall it be the Off or Repel?....just want to stay on topic.

Ever have insect repellent ruin your plastic watch crystal, or your nail
polish (Vince, this is purely a rhetorical question)?

No, because I won't use those that do. I know that Deet will dissolve
the finish on my fly rod and line, so despite all the assurances it is
safe, I get along without it.

West Niles, Malaria, etc...make me concerned too. It's a
balance of risk factors.

Yep, all life is a matter of balancing risks. Getting WN is pretty far
down on my list of dangers. I'm much more likely to be struck by a
reckless driver.

vince norris
Old 16-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Tony

"JNJ" wrote in message
I received some interesting skeeter repellant solutions from a friend and
thought I'd pass them along. If nothing else, they should make for some

fun
discussion.

James

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...Best thing ever used in

Louisiana..just
wipe on & go...Great for Babies

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October

..
[...]

I used to get covered in bites if I went anywhere near any insect. Then I
got ulcerative colitis & have never been bitten since! Not sure if it is the
medication I am on (nasty stuff some of it) or what but I can now walk
straight through a cloud of the damn things & not get touched.
Tony

---
So check it anyway!!
No attachments unless advised in body of email.

[IMG] code is On

Repelling Bees [email protected] Ponds 7 09-06-2005 04:37 PM
repelling groundhogs FREDERICK INDICTOR Edible Gardening 19 28-03-2005 03:39 PM
repelling groundhogs FREDERICK INDICTOR Edible Gardening 0 23-03-2005 05:34 PM
Water Skeeters Bill Oertell Ponds 3 21-03-2004 04:07 AM
Repelling of groundhogs Indictorfands Edible Gardening 13 22-08-2003 07:32 PM