Old 15-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Use Salt to Determine Volume

BV, go to Roark's site:
http://www.click2roark.com

Register (if you're not already) - it's safe (no spam or nothin'). Scroll
down the left side of the screen and you'll find the calculator (and a bunch
of others he has). Basically, you take a salt reading in your pond and make
note of it. Then you add a *known weight* of salt, be it 10 lbs. or
whatever, then wait a day and take another reading. You plug in the info,
and the calculator tells you the gallonage. Even if you have not yet added
salt to your pond, take the reading: there's *always* a background salt
level in water (unless it's distilled). And don't go adding HUGE amounts of
salt, because you may want to do the test a couple of times. There are many
drop tests you can use (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals has a nice test), but if
you can get your hands on a meter (I use a Koi Medic), it's worth its weight
in gold (and instantaneous, too!). Another site you can go to is
http://www.perigee.net/~jrjohns/volcalc.html

But I find that you have to shift the decimal point because it gives ppt
instead of ppm. Same numbers, just shift!

Hope this helps.!

Lee
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
I am going to complete the re-dig of my VF this weekend, and when that is
done, I want to get an accurate re-measure of my gallon-age.

Can someone please post the actual/correct method for using salt to
determine the volume of the pond?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond