Old 15-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Jim W

Default japanese knot weed

Anthony E Anson wrote:

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned that it is illegal to propagate
Japanese knotweed. Perhaps someone has and the post has dropped into a
hole somewhere.

The plant was discussed on GQT a few weeks ago and it was stated that
all the plants in this country until recently were a clone from a single
plant.

Since a male and a female plant is required for pollination and (IIRC)
the clone is female, spread can only be vegetative - *HOWEVER* a clone
of the other sex has been discovered, again IIRC, somewhere down in the
South West.

Apart from the Haringey sport that is.
//
Jim

What I'd like to know is, how it is that Japan isn't one big thicket?

(And I only popped in again after an absence of several years to ask one
question....)