Old 15-05-2003, 08:32 PM
John Rutz

Default Green Powdery stuff?

Sue Alexandre wrote:
I know I should probably know this answer since this is my third year with
my pond, but what is that green, powder-like substance that rests on
everything in the pond? If you pass anything over it, even a big fish, it
all disperses into the water making it temporarily green and cloudy, and
then settles back down again, on whatever. Is this dead algae? Live
algae? I catch tons of it in my quilt batting (changing it almost daily)
but it still just keeps on coming! My pond is about 4000 gallons, I have
a biofilter, waterfall, skimmer, and UV. The water looks great, but the
green powdery stuff is really annoying. I did suck up (or try to) a lot of
it with a shop vac last weekend, but now it's all back. Is this the dead
algae that's being killed by the UV????? Any solutions?
Thanks in advance.
Sue

-- its not the stuff from the UV i have it all over my pipes etc too
I'm thinking maybe its the good bacteria as it seems to increase
whenever I add BZT

anyone know for sure????????

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com