Old 15-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default Green Powdery stuff?

I know I should probably know this answer since this is my third year with
my pond, but what is that green, powder-like substance that rests on
everything in the pond? If you pass anything over it, even a big fish, it
all disperses into the water making it temporarily green and cloudy, and
then settles back down again, on whatever. Is this dead algae? Live
algae? I catch tons of it in my quilt batting (changing it almost daily)
but it still just keeps on coming! My pond is about 4000 gallons, I have
a biofilter, waterfall, skimmer, and UV. The water looks great, but the
green powdery stuff is really annoying. I did suck up (or try to) a lot of
it with a shop vac last weekend, but now it's all back. Is this the dead
algae that's being killed by the UV????? Any solutions?
Thanks in advance.
Sue

Old 15-05-2003, 08:32 PM
John Rutz

Sue Alexandre wrote:
I know I should probably know this answer since this is my third year with
my pond, but what is that green, powder-like substance that rests on
everything in the pond? If you pass anything over it, even a big fish, it
all disperses into the water making it temporarily green and cloudy, and
then settles back down again, on whatever. Is this dead algae? Live
algae? I catch tons of it in my quilt batting (changing it almost daily)
but it still just keeps on coming! My pond is about 4000 gallons, I have
a biofilter, waterfall, skimmer, and UV. The water looks great, but the
green powdery stuff is really annoying. I did suck up (or try to) a lot of
it with a shop vac last weekend, but now it's all back. Is this the dead
algae that's being killed by the UV????? Any solutions?
Thanks in advance.
Sue

-- its not the stuff from the UV i have it all over my pipes etc too
I'm thinking maybe its the good bacteria as it seems to increase
whenever I add BZT

anyone know for sure????????

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 15-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Thu, 15 May 2003 13:56:22 -0500, Sue Alexandre wrote:

I know I should probably know this answer since this is my third
year with my pond, but what is that green, powder-like substance
that rests on everything in the pond? If you pass anything over
it, even a big fish, it all disperses into the water making it
temporarily green and cloudy, and then settles back down again, on
whatever. Is this dead algae? Live algae? I catch tons of it in
my quilt batting (changing it almost daily) but it still just keeps
on coming! My pond is about 4000 gallons, I have a biofilter,
waterfall, skimmer, and UV. The water looks great, but the green
powdery stuff is really annoying. I did suck up (or try to) a lot
of it with a shop vac last weekend, but now it's all back. Is this
the dead algae that's being killed by the UV????? Any solutions?
Thanks in advance.
Sue

My bet is that your 'stuff' is tree pollen. During the spring here
in Missouri we get /tons/ of the stuff for about two weeks when oaks
are dropping pollen. Do you have woods nearby?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 16-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Sue Alexandre

Bingo! I'll bet you're right, because starting at one side of my pond and
continuing on for 40-50 feet is solid woods, leading down to a natural
brook. Now those 40-50 feet of woods are on a steep slope DOWN from the
pond, but I imagine enough of it blows around to get into the pond, and
there are plenty on the pond level before they start dropping off. Well
that's good news and bad news: it would be good to finally know what this
stuff is, but it's bad because I don't think there's a solution to it. Now
I guess the question is, is it at all harmful, or just cosmetically
unfavorable?
Thanks!
Sue

newsan.2003.05.15.15.20.30.606955.19595@WizardsT ower...

Old 16-05-2003, 06:32 PM
jon

It's the algae thats passed through your UV. After the UV the algae
clumps together and sinks in the pond to form the green powder.

Jon
"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
[...]

Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 04:07 PM
Black powdery stuff on leaves of Crepe myrtle Bluebee Sky North Carolina 1 01-08-2004 05:51 AM
Blue-green grassy type stuff in lawn Ian Cundell United Kingdom 0 16-11-2003 05:23 PM
Green stuff Bob Knight Ponds 1 28-10-2003 04:12 PM
Tadpoles and green stuff Bob Stan Ponds 3 12-06-2003 02:44 PM