Old 15-05-2003, 08:56 PM
PlainBill

Default What's going on here? (long)

John,

I've a fair amount of experience with the mechanical part, and don't
expect too many problems with the fittings. Home Depot and I are old
friends.

I appreciate the hint on keeping the outlet fitting large enough.
I'll figure on picking up the filter media from Wal-mart. There are a
couple in the neighborhood.

Car wash, huh? Yeah, I can give those a try.

Thanks,

Bill

On Thu, 15 May 2003 12:42:07 -0600, John Rutz
wrote:

PlainBill wrote:
John,

I've looked over the barrel rather carefully, and it looks like
TPO has modified it quite a few times. There are several extra holes,
most patched rather crudely, and there are several leaks.

My current plan is to obtain a 55 gallon plastic drum (any suggestions
where?) and use it as the shell of the new filter. I'd put the drain
(cleanout) fitting in the bottom, and bring the inlet about a foot up
from the bottom, aiming the stream parallel to the side of the drum.
Just above the inlet would be the grate supporting the filter media.
I'd put a fitting for the outlet within 6 inches of the top. All of
the assembly could be done at my lesiure, then moving it into service
fairly quickly.

One thing I'm very vague about is the filter media itself. I've seen
air conditioner filters, vinyl screening, floor scrubber pads, plastic
balls, etc. mentioned. Right now this looks like a fairly
inexpensive project, and I'd like to keep it that way - say no more
than $100 for the media. What would you suggest using? Or is my
budget too low?

Thanks,

PlainBill

nope budget is OK as for the barel try a large carwash I got mine from
one just rinse the soap out real well, or a large food processing
plant might let you have one the rest sounds fine as to drains etc
another option for the barel is a container supply but a new food safe
plastic barrel can run close to 100.00

I have and am still having good luck with the blue aircond filter from
wall mart one roll is all you need last time I bought it it was about
30 dollars
check with a home depot or similar for male & female threaded to slip
pipe adapters they, with a litle silicone or RTV rubber, make good (and
cheap) bulkhead fittings examples of some in place are on my website

oh use the largest you can find for the outlet, I tried 2 inch in and 2
inch out and had overflow problems had to switch to 4 in out

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression, for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
-Thomas Paine