Old 15-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

Default Green Powdery stuff?

On Thu, 15 May 2003 13:56:22 -0500, Sue Alexandre wrote:

I know I should probably know this answer since this is my third
year with my pond, but what is that green, powder-like substance
that rests on everything in the pond? If you pass anything over
it, even a big fish, it all disperses into the water making it
temporarily green and cloudy, and then settles back down again, on
whatever. Is this dead algae? Live algae? I catch tons of it in
my quilt batting (changing it almost daily) but it still just keeps
on coming! My pond is about 4000 gallons, I have a biofilter,
waterfall, skimmer, and UV. The water looks great, but the green
powdery stuff is really annoying. I did suck up (or try to) a lot
of it with a shop vac last weekend, but now it's all back. Is this
the dead algae that's being killed by the UV????? Any solutions?
Thanks in advance.
Sue

My bet is that your 'stuff' is tree pollen. During the spring here
in Missouri we get /tons/ of the stuff for about two weeks when oaks
are dropping pollen. Do you have woods nearby?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.