Old 15-05-2003, 09:32 PM
V_coerulea

Default Cut Worms

Collars are the best answer. We just cut a toilet paper tube in half and
slice it up the side. Bury it half in the ground around the plant. They're
quick, easy and very effective even with a mulch. We've tried hot pepper
spray (from habeneros) which had little or no effect. With the collars, we
may lose one of our transplants, but tha's usually due to an animal
disturbing the collar and rendering it ineffective. They're effective for
cabbage and broccoli in the fall as well as tomatoes and peppers in the
spring

"Jo-Ann" wrote in message
Hello,
I planted most of my tomato and basil plants in pots. My peppers are in

the
ground. I have noticed that cut worms have gotten a few of my basil plants
(all my veggies were grown from seed except the peppers). I looked up
control for these beasties in a gardening book and it says to use Diazinon
(Spelling?)
I do not want to do this. Aside from using collars around the plants, is
there something I can spray onto the plants like hot pepper spray or soapy
spray to stop these worms? I HATE using poisons.

Thanks in advance for your help. Jo-Ann

--
Invalid address-Please post request to e-mail me.