Old 15-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Jo-Ann

Default Cut Worms

Hello,
I planted most of my tomato and basil plants in pots. My peppers are in the
ground. I have noticed that cut worms have gotten a few of my basil plants
(all my veggies were grown from seed except the peppers). I looked up
control for these beasties in a gardening book and it says to use Diazinon
(Spelling?)
I do not want to do this. Aside from using collars around the plants, is
there something I can spray onto the plants like hot pepper spray or soapy
spray to stop these worms? I HATE using poisons.

Thanks in advance for your help. Jo-Ann

--
Invalid address-Please post request to e-mail me.

Old 15-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Valkyrie

"Jo-Ann" wrote in message
Hello,
I planted most of my tomato and basil plants in pots. My peppers are in

the
ground. I have noticed that cut worms have gotten a few of my basil plants
(all my veggies were grown from seed except the peppers). I looked up
control for these beasties in a gardening book and it says to use Diazinon
(Spelling?)
I do not want to do this. Aside from using collars around the plants, is
there something I can spray onto the plants like hot pepper spray or soapy
spray to stop these worms? I HATE using poisons.

Collars are your best bet and it's easy. I used old paper towel and toilet
paper rolls; cut them about 2"-3" high, cut a slit down the side and put
them around the stem about an inch or so deep. They will rot away by the
time the plant is big enough to not be bothered, not restricting the plant
stem growth and they are ( the best part) FREE!

Val

Old 15-05-2003, 09:32 PM
V_coerulea

Collars are the best answer. We just cut a toilet paper tube in half and
slice it up the side. Bury it half in the ground around the plant. They're
quick, easy and very effective even with a mulch. We've tried hot pepper
spray (from habeneros) which had little or no effect. With the collars, we
may lose one of our transplants, but tha's usually due to an animal
disturbing the collar and rendering it ineffective. They're effective for
cabbage and broccoli in the fall as well as tomatoes and peppers in the
spring

Old 16-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Dwayne

My method cost more, but it is a lot less work. I just stick a toothpick
into the ground right next to the plant. Then the cut worm cant complete
his circle and cut off the plant. I bet it is real frustrating also.
Revenge is sweet.

Dwayne