Old 16-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Purple Leaf Sand Cherry

Jim,

Like I said, I could well be wrong - however, the tree in my front yard gets
blossoms before leaves, it is 15-18' tall and has a 9" thick trunk. The
nursery where I see the sand cherries have them planted as landscaping and
they are fairly large (5-6' tall) - but all are multi-trunk and bushy. Mine
is a tree. I'm hoping to take an air layer or two off of it this summer,
because it has great bark, beautiful leaves and flowers and the one in my
yard appears to be rapidly approaching it's end.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Dirr says the purple-leafed sand cherry (P. x cistena -- see
related thread) is a cross between P. pumila and P. cerasifera
'Atropurpurea' and grows 7-10 feet tall. Foliage is "intensely
reddish purple and stays effective throughout the summer."
Flowers, he says, are single, pinkish and fragrant and appear
after the leaves. Zone 7-10. Leaves appear to be a BIT large
for the ideal bonsai -- but then, who am I to talk, I have a
bonsai peach ;-) -- 7-inch leaves!

I know of no purple-leafed plum that could or would be called
"Dwarf Japanese Plum" and "Ornamental Plum" is so generic it
could be anything -- but probably is P. x cistena.

David Thoreau - Walden

****
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: