Old 16-05-2003, 07:56 PM
ned

Default Save the Bumblebee

Mark wrote:
Neil Trotter typed:

For info. Urge to gardeners he

OK I'll bite as I have noticed fewer Bumblebees this year.
Ive got an area of overgrown land with oak and chestnut trees so

it's
shady. Which of the following recommended plants would you NOT
recommend i plant as the area is close to my main garden.
And also anyone know were you can buy these weeds!.
Red clover
birds-foot trefoil,
red bartsia
and black knapweed.
Hedgerow species such as
white dead nettle,
hedge woundwort,
tufted vetch
bush vetch

The Bumblebees that I have observed appear to favour a degree of open
ground where they can readily identify their nest entrances. Chopping
down an adjacent plant or raking the soil can cause the bees no end of
confusion. For that reason I wouldn't have thought that dense ground
cover plants like clover and trefoil would be most suitable. In fact,
I would go so far as to recommend cracks in concrete or paving as
ideal locations - provided the underlying soil is capable of
excavation.

--
ned