Old 16-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Neil Trotter

Default Save the Bumblebee

For info. Urge to gardeners he

.... though it seems you may have to attend the Chelsea Flower Show in
order to find out how you can help, as the article provides little more
than a hint.

In fairness however, they do carry links to the homepages of English
Nature and the National Trust. A couple of links direct to bee info at
those sites:

http://www.english-nature.org.uk/news/story.asp?ID=467

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/envi...apers/bee1.htm

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK. (Amend email address to use).
Old 16-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Mark

Neil Trotter typed:

For info. Urge to gardeners he

OK I'll bite as I have noticed fewer Bumblebees this year.
Ive got an area of overgrown land with oak and chestnut trees so it's shady.
Which of the following recommended plants would you NOT recommend i
plant as the area is close to my main garden.
And also anyone know were you can buy these weeds!.
Red clover
birds-foot trefoil,
red bartsia
and black knapweed.
Hedgerow species such as
white dead nettle,
hedge woundwort,
tufted vetch
bush vetch

Old 16-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Mary Fisher

And also anyone know were you can buy these weeds!.
Red clover
birds-foot trefoil,
red bartsia
and black knapweed.
Hedgerow species such as
white dead nettle,
hedge woundwort,
tufted vetch
bush vetch

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/wild.htm

Mary

Old 16-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mark
writes
Neil Trotter typed:

For info. Urge to gardeners he

OK I'll bite as I have noticed fewer Bumblebees this year.
Ive got an area of overgrown land with oak and chestnut trees so it's shady.
Which of the following recommended plants would you NOT recommend i
plant as the area is close to my main garden.
And also anyone know were you can buy these weeds!.
Red clover
birds-foot trefoil,
red bartsia
and black knapweed.
Hedgerow species such as
white dead nettle,
hedge woundwort,
tufted vetch
bush vetch

There's a nursery near us (Leeds) that sells all of those, but I don't
think they do mail order. Landlif in Liverpool do do mail order.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 16-05-2003, 07:56 PM
ned

Mark wrote:
Neil Trotter typed:

For info. Urge to gardeners he

OK I'll bite as I have noticed fewer Bumblebees this year.
Ive got an area of overgrown land with oak and chestnut trees so

it's
shady. Which of the following recommended plants would you NOT
recommend i plant as the area is close to my main garden.
And also anyone know were you can buy these weeds!.
Red clover
birds-foot trefoil,
red bartsia
and black knapweed.
Hedgerow species such as
white dead nettle,
hedge woundwort,
tufted vetch
bush vetch

The Bumblebees that I have observed appear to favour a degree of open
ground where they can readily identify their nest entrances. Chopping
down an adjacent plant or raking the soil can cause the bees no end of
confusion. For that reason I wouldn't have thought that dense ground
cover plants like clover and trefoil would be most suitable. In fact,
I would go so far as to recommend cracks in concrete or paving as
ideal locations - provided the underlying soil is capable of
excavation.

--
ned

Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Mark" contains these words:

And also anyone know were you can buy these weeds!.
Red clover
birds-foot trefoil,
red bartsia
and black knapweed.
Hedgerow species such as
white dead nettle,
hedge woundwort,
tufted vetch
bush vetch

Chiltern Seeds.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 17-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Mary Fisher

OK I'll bite as I have noticed fewer Bumblebees this year.
Ive got an area of overgrown land with oak and chestnut trees so it's

shady.
Which of the following recommended plants would you NOT recommend i
plant as the area is close to my main garden.
And also anyone know were you can buy these weeds!.
Red clover
birds-foot trefoil,
red bartsia
and black knapweed.
Hedgerow species such as
white dead nettle,
hedge woundwort,
tufted vetch
bush vetch

I'm fed up of this story. Our bumble bee population has been in decline for
many years and it's nothing to do with lack of nectar and pollen. It's about
loss of habitat by intensive farming, tidy gardening and building. This last
is the hook for the latest journalistic hyperbole, that brown-field sites
are being built on.

There's nothing new in the story and growing all the above plants won't save
the bumble bee or any other insects. Affording the right habitats will.

Trouble is, most people don't like most insects. Nor weeds. Nor untidy
gardens.

And if they see a few bees going in and out of the compost heap they shut
the windows, hide under tables and ring for the pest control folk.

An exaggeration? Of course. Just like the news stories.

Mary

In my garden July 10 Bumblebee on blue delphinium.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 31-07-2009 03:22 AM
In my garden July 25 Bumblebee on Russian Sage.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 29-07-2009 05:05 PM
Bumblebee disease? K United Kingdom 14 06-06-2007 11:45 PM
What would eat or carry off a bumblebee nest? Dave Gardening 6 27-06-2004 07:02 PM
Save the Bumblebee - other options Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 1 19-05-2003 06:20 PM