Old 17-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Bob

Default salinity testing

Don't know about the readings, as I don't use salt, but the salt stays in
your pond until you remove it. IE: Water changes. It won't evaporate by
itself. Just incase you don't know, plants don't like very much salt.

Bob

--
Take ME away to email

Check out my pond page at:
Http://Trains99.tripod.com
Click the My Pond button on the left

"*muffin*" wrote in message
ok, more questions (VBG)

I purchased a hydrometer which tests specific gravity & salinity in the
water.
( I wanted to test the salt content & then add salt to find out gallonage
for my pond)

when I 1st added the water,, I thought **YIKES** it read above 40!!!

but,,
dang I forgot to look at directions,,,,, it said to tap off the air
bubbles............**DUHH**

it now reads UNDER "0".. looks like maybe 2 points under (?)
the test kit reads in PPT's & they are listed in numbers from "0" to "40"
soooo how does this read as the testing goes? from the other posts its in
the ".00" readings,, do I read the markers as ".00" to ".40" ???

since the reading is UNDER "0" should I add 10 lbs of salt ( pond should

be
over 2500 gal) & get a reading? then add more to do the difference to

figure
out the gallonage? do I HAVE to wait 1 day?? or can it be checked after

the
salt has dissolved?
(HOW long does the salinity STAY in the pond?)