Old 17-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] Copper wire for bonsai styling?

"Alan Walker" wrote in message
Bart: The wire from Home Depot and other building supply outlets will

work just
fine, but as you note it must be annealed to make it pliable for use in

training
branches. That is not a very hard thing to do. Basically you just heat

it up to
cherry red in a kiln or a barbecue pit. You can let it cool slowly or use

tongs to
pick it up and douse it in water. The second way tends to leave a cleaner

wire.

Hi, Alan.

Okay, I got some home depot wire and tried it in my 3 burner gas Weber.
After letting it run for a long time with the coiled (large diameter coil) I
found that I had barely gotten to 700 degress, and the grill was smoking
like a major fire! Major parts could be described as "cherry" red, but not
glowing brightly.

My suspicion is that that was not enough, but it's a heck of a way to clean
or pre-heat the grill! I cooled the wire by hanging it on a wrought-iron
hook and spraying it with the hose.

Has anyone tried putting the wire in the oven during a cleaning cycle? That
would seem to get hotter and be more cost-efficient - if you don't risk
destroying the oven or setting the house on fire.

Regards,

Bart